BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CanteenCook
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

It's common knowledge now that SAS Eg and Office Add-ins are update-able directly by the client through the interface. My question is:

Is there a way for the updates to execute without the clients having elevated rights on the machine?

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @CanteenCook,

so far, not, because the updates come through msi installers, hence the elevated rights. However, you could always ask this question to SAS Technical Support, perhaps they can offer you an alternative. If any, please let us know.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

I really hope that such a feature - updating EG without elevated rights - is not implemented in the near future, lets say the next 20 year. Maintaining a site where everyone uses a different version will be a nightmare.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@andreas_lds wrote:

I really hope that such a feature - updating EG without elevated rights - is not implemented in the near future, lets say the next 20 year. Maintaining a site where everyone uses a different version will be a nightmare.

Especially in light of the still prevailing problem that every new EG version writes project files only in a format that previous versions can't read.

CanteenCook
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Guys

After some digging around, I came across this article:

Using Windows Installer with UAC from the MS support site.

Windows Installer complies with User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista. With authorization from an administrator, the Windows Installer can install applications or patches on behalf of a user that may not be a member of the Administrators group. This is referred to as an elevated installation because the Windows Installer makes changes to the system on behalf of the user that would not normally be allowed if the user were making the changes directly.

• When using Windows Vista in a corporate environment, applications can be designated as managed applications. Using application deployment and Group Policy, administrators can lockdown directories and then assign or publish the managed applications in those directories to standard users for install, repair, or removal. Managed applications are registered in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive. Once an application has been registered as a managed application, subsequent installation operations always run with elevated privileges. If the user is running as an administrator, no prompting is required to continue the installation. If the user is running as a standard user, and the application has already been assigned or published, the installation of the managed application can continue without prompting.

I am hoping that if we package E Guide as a "Managed Application" as stated above. if I understand the above correctly, any subsequent updates will not require elevated rights because they are "managed".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation