BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Is it possible for me to update the Description of dataset metadata? For instance if you right click on a dataset > Properties there is a Description field which I'd like to use for notes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The Description field -- if it has a value -- comes from SAS Metadata.  For example, you can see the Description in the Properties for a SAS server (ex: SASApp) and for metadata-registered SAS libraries. 

The value for this Description field does not come from the SAS data set itself.  For regular SAS tables that aren't registered in SAS Metadata, the field will be blank.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Are you referring to the data set label?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

There's a Data Set Label, which you can update using PROC DATASETS.  You can also embed lots more information using Extended Attributes (new in SAS 9.4).  See more:

How to store data about your data in your data - The SAS Dummy

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

thanks - I've enclosed a snippet of what I'm talking about. I did update the LABEL and confirmed that this is different from the Description as the Description is still blank. I created this table myself so I'm curious if I can apply the Description.

Capture.JPG

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The Description field -- if it has a value -- comes from SAS Metadata.  For example, you can see the Description in the Properties for a SAS server (ex: SASApp) and for metadata-registered SAS libraries. 

The value for this Description field does not come from the SAS data set itself.  For regular SAS tables that aren't registered in SAS Metadata, the field will be blank.

Chris

80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

perfect, thanks for the explanation! It's too bad as I could see this helpful to add notes for "less techy" personnel that are in the system as they could just right-click and get more info.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation