BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello all, 
My question is possibly two part ultimately... (macro idea, or new proc ??)
I need to compare a list of tables in two databases for differences in their summery per table. I need to do this for many tables but would love to use a 'macro' and pass the table names and the metadata field names (they are different because the DB's they sit on are different. MS SQL - Oracle) and of course the number of fields per table can be different per table in a single db. However the pairs of tables checked across db's match perfectly.

What I was wondering is if a macro containing my proc sql could just be fed the table names and data fields and alias's?  If anyone had a sample they could share with me? All fields that are not sum-ed can be assumed to be char. In the end we are only looking for groups or counts that are different/missing from one db to the other. Anyway here is my code sample checks one table:

proc sql;
create table student_campus_fte_w as
select
 w_snapshot as snapshot,
 strm,
 acad_career,
 sum(W_ENRL_CRD_CNT) as enrl_credit_campus_count,
 sum(W_PL_IND) as PULLM_ind,
 sum(W_PL_CRD_IND) as PULLM_credit_ind,
 sum(W_PL_CRD_HOUR) as PULLM_credit_hours,
 /* ... more fields */
from &destinat..ps_W_STDNT_CMP_FTE
group by
 w_snapshot,
 strm,
 acad_career
;
quit;

proc sql;
create table student_campus_fte_c as
select
 snapshot,
 strm,
 acad_career,
 sum(enrl_credit_campus_count) as enrl_credit_campus_count,
 sum(PULLM_ind) as PULLM_ind,
 sum(PULLM_credit_ind) as PULLM_credit_ind,
 sum(PULLM_credit_hours) as PULLM_credit_hours,
 /* ... more fields */
from source.student_campus_fte
group by snapshot,
 strm,
 acad_career
 ;
quit;

proc sql;
create table student_campus_fte_d as
select
 c.*
from student_campus_fte_c c
full join student_campus_fte_w w
on c.snapshot = w.snapshot
and c.strm = w.strm
and c.acad_career = w.acad_career
where
 abs(c.enrl_credit_campus_count - w.enrl_credit_campus_count) > 0.000001 or
 abs(c.PULLM_ind - w.PULLM_ind) > 0.00001 or
 abs(c.PULLM_credit_ind - w.PULLM_credit_ind) > 0.000001 or
 abs(c.PULLM_credit_hours - w.PULLM_credit_hours) > 0.000001 or
 /* ... more fields */
;
quit;
/*proc print data=student_campus_fte_d;*/
/*run;*/

...of course I am open to using a different type of proc / data step, I am just looking for Ideas how I might automate this and not write the same three proc sql's with nothing but the table name, (number of fields), field names and alias's changing. Sorry I am not adding sample data in this case all obs results are summery counts other than the control group data: like census, eot, ceneot, and fall17, fall16, spring18.

Thank you -Keith

3 REPLIES 3
kjohnsonm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

PS I am not wedded to the idea of a 'proc SQL w/ full join', so chime in if there are better ways to do this... but in this case the control groups per table are relatively small.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

My feeling is this should be fairly doable:

1. Create a control table with the character (group by) variables, and the quantitative (sum) variables.

2. Create a macro that does pretty much what you're showing, except use PROC COMPARE to do your comparison.

3. Have a DATA _NULL_ step that reads your control data, and sets up three strings that look like
"w_snapshot as snapshot, strm, acad_career,"
"sum(W_ENRL_CRD_CNT) as enrl_credit_campus_count, sum(W_PL_IND) as PULLM_ind, sum(W_PL_CRD_IND) as PULLM_credit_ind, sum(W_PL_CRD_HOUR) as PULLM_credit_hours,"
"w_snapshot, strm, acad_career"

4. Set up a macro call that includes those three strings, along with the two incoming table names, and do a "CALL EXECUTE" with that macro call.

I suggest you start small; i) get the basic code working, no macro, no "call execute". ii) set up a macro, and get one example working. iii) expand to the call execute.

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation