BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MM88
Calcite | Level 5

Hi community,

I am struggling in automatically finding a way to obtain the tables executed in a SAS Enterprise Guide flow.

I need given a table, be able to know which are the flows affected.

Maybe is possible with some of the audit tables?

Thanks very much for the help.

Regards 

6 REPLIES 6
PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think I need more information.  I'm speculating that you have opened a Enterprise Guide file (EPG) and that you see "tables" (ie. datasets) in a process flow in that file, but you receive an error when you attempt to view the dataset via the dataset icon.

Correct me, if I misunderstand you.

MM88
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @PhilC ,

Imagine that I have a very complex flow joining diferent datasets. At the end of the flow, I copy a dataset to Autoload to be used in SAS Visual Analytics. What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to automatically get the tables names involved in the flow. 

With this information, when one of my intermediates datasets fail then final Autoload dataset is out of date.

In a very simple way I need to automatically obtain the following information for each of my SAS Enterprise Guide project flows:

FlowDataset
MyFlowNameWORK.Table1
MyFlowNameWORK.Table2
MyFlowNameWORK.Table3
MyFlowNameAutoload.MyDataset

Thanks for your help,

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have no simple answers. If I wanted to do this I would have, planning ahead, created LIBNAMEs for each process flow. And then used PROC SQL and
DICTIONARY.TABLES to generate the table, you speak of.

Or named the datasets prefixed with the macro variable &_CLIENTPROCESSFLOWNAME.
Which would have required me to keep process flow names simple.

I hope you find a simpler idea.

Is it that you want to know If there was an error in the process flow that generated the "AUTOLOAD" dataset and the timing of that error, which can be compared with the dataset's modified date?

MM88
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @PhilC ,

Unfortunately I cannot modify all my flows, as you said, it would have been planning ahead.

We stored some datasets at libraries. A dataset can be used in many flows. If a dataset fails, I want to know which are the flows affected to execute them, instead of executing my whole project.

Thanks for your answer.

Regards

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Again, not simple, but there is the parsing of logs.  I have seen others do this.  The process flow name is put in the log when the variable &_CLIENTPROCESSFLOWNAME is assigned.  In theory you can link that to datasets and time stamps, but not exact time stamps, unfortunately.

MM88
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @PhilC ,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Regards,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation