BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is there anything I can do (other than turning it off) to make autocomplete usable in long programs?  I have an 1100 line program.  If autocomplete is on, then EG can't keep up with typing.  It can be as much as a second between each keystroke appearing.

5 REPLIES 5
Quentin
Super User

Wow, do you mean literally every key stroke takes a second to appear?  Or do you mean if you start typing a dataset name, it takes a second for the list of dataset autocomplete options to show up?

Guessing it's every key stroke, that sounds bad (and odd).

When you turned off autocomplete, did it fix the problem?  If so, maybe you could "turn down" autocomplete (have it do less autocompleting for you).

I'm not sure how autocomplete works.  I think for autocompleting dataset names, it may actually need to read dictionary.tables or something like that to get list of datasets in a library.  So assuming you are using SAS on a server, that could take communication between client and server.  When we initially set up EG running locally on our PCs connecting to a remote server, performance was horrible (slow start up time, lots of time for results to be returned to client, etc, the SAS jobs themselves ran fine).   After plenty of diagnosing it was decided that the server was "too remote"  (usual story: network guys blame the application, application guys blame the network).    So now we remote desktop into a windows server which sits next to the SAS server, and run EG there.   Performance isn't snappy (partly because of RD), but it's fine.

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

So the further down the program I go, the longer the response time.  It happens for every keystroke, not just supplying the members of a library.  If I turn autocomplete off, there is no lag.

Quentin
Super User

Sounds very odd.  Suggest putting in a ticket with tech support.  There are plenty of strings that autocomplete shouldn't even be trying to complete for you (e.g. text strings in quotes), AFAIK.  Just for fun, if you have PC SAS, might check if the lag is the same for EG session pointing to your local SAS instead of a server.  Very odd.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You might also check the latest hotfix for 6.1m1 (July 2014).  There might have been a performance fix that snuck in there -- good idea to try if you have the ability to apply it...

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Might have something to do with WPF - I've had performance vary wildly depending on whether DirectX 9 likes my graphics driver. Have a look at this, particularly the WPF renderer capability tier

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/blog/WPF_SASEG43.pdf

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation