BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cxkev
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

In Enterprise Guide 4.3, my data is spread across two different servers, sasapp & sasapp1.

I know after writing a program I can right click and change what server I want to run the code on, however, I need to append 2 pieces of data from each server together and therefore need to run code on the 2 different servers within 1 program.

Example:

LibraryA.Dataset_A - Resides on Sasapp Server

LibraryB.Dataset_B - Resides on Sasapp1 Server

I would like to achieve the following:

Data All_Data;

set LibraryA.Dataset_A

LibraryB.Dataset_B;

run;

Is this possible?

Regards,

cxkev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS EG is a client which generates code. This code is then sent to a server for execution and EG allows you to surface the result.

For your 2 Server scenario:

- The easiest way would be to only use 1 server so if possible create libnames on this one server pointing to the 2 data sources (folders) you need

- If this is not possible (server 1 has not access to file system of server 2) then you need to connect the 2 SAS servers. You would create a session on server 1 and then in your code use SAS/Connect (rsubmit) to create a session on server 2. So with EG create a session on Server 1, send code to server 1 and this code then creates a session on server 2 (SAS/CONNECT). You then download the data from server 2 to the session on server 1 and join the data on server 1.

- You have a local SAS installed (=a 3rd server). You use SAS/Connect in a local session to connect to both Server 1 and Server 2, you download the data from both servers to your local sessions (with proc download or remote library services), and then combine the data in your local SAS session.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS EG is a client which generates code. This code is then sent to a server for execution and EG allows you to surface the result.

For your 2 Server scenario:

- The easiest way would be to only use 1 server so if possible create libnames on this one server pointing to the 2 data sources (folders) you need

- If this is not possible (server 1 has not access to file system of server 2) then you need to connect the 2 SAS servers. You would create a session on server 1 and then in your code use SAS/Connect (rsubmit) to create a session on server 2. So with EG create a session on Server 1, send code to server 1 and this code then creates a session on server 2 (SAS/CONNECT). You then download the data from server 2 to the session on server 1 and join the data on server 1.

- You have a local SAS installed (=a 3rd server). You use SAS/Connect in a local session to connect to both Server 1 and Server 2, you download the data from both servers to your local sessions (with proc download or remote library services), and then combine the data in your local SAS session.

cxkev
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your help Patrick.

Kevan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation