BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eagles_dare13
Obsidian | Level 7

In SAS DI Studio, if I create a new table with a few columns, I see there is the option of specifying 'Sort Order' on a column.

What does this do? if I specify 'Sort Order' ascending on a column and load data in the table in  random un ordered fashion, will SAS automatically sort the data based on the column? It is not doing that, so I was wondering what is the use of a 'Sort Order' column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you press help in the properties window for a table, the following is stated about Sort Order:

"The Sort Order field is used only to document the intended use of a given column. It does not implement a given usage. For example, selecting the ASCENDING value does not sort the values in that column when that column is used in a SAS Data Integration Studio job. "

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

I'm not familiar with DI Studio but, if the description at SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.21: User's Guide is what you are asking about, it is simply where you would specify the sort criteria to use when you do include a sort node.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you press help in the properties window for a table, the following is stated about Sort Order:

"The Sort Order field is used only to document the intended use of a given column. It does not implement a given usage. For example, selecting the ASCENDING value does not sort the values in that column when that column is used in a SAS Data Integration Studio job. "

Data never sleeps

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation