BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_ASS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey,

I'm doing a cluster analysis on a large data set in SAS EM.

I would like to use the SEMMA approach for data mining.

But according to this approach cluster analysis is part of Explore.

But actually this is my model I guess.

My nodes are:

Input Data

Stat Explore

Drop

Filter

Impute

Data Partition

Varclus

Cluster

Score/Assess

Maybe anyone can tell me the right order?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeStockstill
SAS Employee

Good morning-

The "right" order depends on what you are trying to do.  The flow that you describe explores the data, drops some variables, filters some observations, imputes missing values, partitions, clusters variables, and then clusters observations based on the results of the variable clustering. If this strategy is your intent, then the order is probably right. It is not clear though how assessment is involved.

SEMMA is usually involved when you have a target variable.  The target predictions can be assessed against the target values that were observed.  In cluster analysis, there is no target variable.  Instead, unsupervised learning is performed.

Have a good week.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MikeStockstill
SAS Employee

Good morning-

The "right" order depends on what you are trying to do.  The flow that you describe explores the data, drops some variables, filters some observations, imputes missing values, partitions, clusters variables, and then clusters observations based on the results of the variable clustering. If this strategy is your intent, then the order is probably right. It is not clear though how assessment is involved.

SEMMA is usually involved when you have a target variable.  The target predictions can be assessed against the target values that were observed.  In cluster analysis, there is no target variable.  Instead, unsupervised learning is performed.

Have a good week.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation