SAS_Sam
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I got an error message when I tried to create a project in SAS EM 7.1

This server location is already registered for use, either by another project,
or by another SAS Application. Or user does not have permission to create
project at this location. Try using a different name for your project, or enter
a different path.

I also tried the method below but still not working.

http://support.sas.com/kb/43/891.html

Any suggestion for fixing the issue?

Thanks,

Sam

2 REPLIES 2
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

There are two parts to a project: 

1.  The physical files which are located in a project folder (note: this should not include the input data) 
2.  The project object in metadata 

You could have several projects physically located on a machine but only those projects that have a project object in metadata are 'visible' to SAS Enterprise Miner.  When you create a new project, you are prompted for the physical location and a metadata location.  The error message you are seeing indicates that there might already be a project associated with the physical location or the metadata location.  If you have already tried using a different name or path, it is possible that you have a permissions issue.  Please note that the permissions are associated with the account that is used to launch SAS Enterprise Miner which is often different than the account used to logon to the machine where you launched SAS Enterprise Miner.   

Suppose you want to create a project named 'Fred' in the folder

C:\MyMachine\MyProjects

Then SAS Enterprise Miner would create a project folder in the path above, and project files would be stored in 

C:\MyMachine\MyProjects\Fred

You should NOT place the raw data for the project inside the project folder as this could greatly slow processing.  The files stored in the project folder are generally intended to be created, modified, and managed by SAS Enterprise Miner.  Manually modifying these files could corrupt your project.  If you want to save certain files, you can always copy the files in question to a location preferably outside of the project folder.   

In my example above, I created the project Fred in the parent folder

C:\MyMachine\MyProjects   

Are you able to create a new project with a different name in the same physical parent folder?   If not, you are likely dealing with permissions issues in which case I would recommend you contact SAS Technical Support since you have already tried working through Usage Note 43891 (http://support.sas.com/kb/43/891.html). 

Hope this helps!

Doug

SAS_Sam
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Doug!

I am a new user of SAS EM. I just started to create a project without saving any data, then encountered this kind of issue.  I also tried create a new project with a different name in the same physical parent folder/different folders as well. Nothing work. I think I have to contact SAS Tech Support to solve the issue.

Thanks again.

Sam

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation