BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
WilliamB
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,
I would like to understand the proc hpsvm,
I looked at some examples, but I do not understand the difference between:

Number of Support Vectors on Margin                                This one ok

Number of Support Vectors                                                 What is this?

Capture d’écran (115).png

Thanks for your help

1 REPLY 1
RalphAbbey
SAS Employee

I'm not 100% sure about how HPSVM calculates these numbers, but here is some information on the number of support vectors in general.

In a linear model, if the data is completely separable then the number of support vectors will equal the number of the support vectors on the margin. Being completely separable means that you can draw the hyperplane to completely separate the two classes.

In general the data is more mixed, and thus there is no hyperplane that will completely separate the two classes. Thus, the penalty parameter exists - to modify the optimization (This is the proc option C in HPSVM). At this point the number of support vectors are the number of vectors on the margin (both sides of the hyperplane), AND all the vectors in between the two margins. Thus there will be more support vectors, than the number of support vectors on the margin because the vectors in between.

Adjusting the penalty (proc option C) can adjust the number of support vectors in between the margins, but this also has an effect on the accuracy of the model.

I think there are some extra nuances with non-linear models and the number of support vectors, but the general idea still holds.

Hopefully this helps.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation