BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stbomb0
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a Mac person and need to use EM in the cloud. I've recently lost access to my PC and so I need to either:

- run Windows on a Bootstrap partition on my Mac and install SAS EM there

- purchase a new PC laptop to use with EM

My questions...

Has anyone successfully configured a Macbook Air to run SAS EM via some emulation platform? If so, how did you do it and did you find that performance suffered in some significant and/or obvious way.

If I need to purchase a PC laptop, what are the minimum specs (i.e. the cheapest solution) that I should consider when purchasing a PC laptop?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Steve T.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

EM is now available as a thin client in an internet browser so as long as you have a recent version like IE 9 or higher, Firefox or Chrome latest then you should be OK on a Mac.

stbomb0
Calcite | Level 5

Right now, I'm using the Education On Demand portal, and I wasn't able to find any information about/access to a thin client for EM that doesn't mention Windows. Here - http://support.sas.com/resources/thirdpartysupport/v93/browsers.html - it lists browser compatibility but doesn't list any Mac environments.

Thanks for your response...I'll keep looking!

steve 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you can't find anything on Mac support I suggest you track to SAS Tech Support. We recently installed EM and SAS recommend using the EM thin client only for new installations.

Reeza
Super User
Bootcamp not bootstrap 😉
You can also create a Virtual Machine, and use via VM Fusion which is similar to bootcamp but doesn't require restarting. I would recommend Fusion or Parallels regardless to avoid restarting to access the Windows Partition.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/emag/67979/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1ibc6lm34otr5n1qt8o...
The client and office addon still there to install. There is a webrun start option as that one will use the java of the browser and not a JPRE is is not a good idea.  Java has a bad name with brosers usages as of security holes.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation