BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
EvelynLau
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am using SAS Viya (specifically Model Studio) for my assignment.

I want to use the one-hot encoding under Transformation but it is not there in the Class Input (missing). May I know what is the reason that one-hot encoding is not on the list?

Many thanks in advance.

EvelynLau_0-1645893105365.png

6 REPLIES 6
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

Look at this 2018 article (to be found in the communities library) :

Class Variable One-Hot Encoding in SAS Visual Data Mining and Machine Learning
Posted 04-30-2018 03:23 PM | by chmedi
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Class-Variable-One-Hot-Encoding-in-SAS-Visual...

Good luck,

Koen

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Hi @EvelynLau,

Do you know which version of SAS Viya you are using? 

The one-hot encoding transformation method for class inputs was added to the Transformations node in SAS Viya Stable 2021.1.2 (June 2021) and Long-Term Support 2021.2 (November 2021). However, if you do not have access to those versions (or newer), then the article in the SAS Community Library that @sbxkoenk referenced is the recommended workaround.

Best,

-Brian

EvelynLau
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @BrianGaines,

I am using this version.

Is this the latest version? If not, how do I get the latest or newer version?
I am still new in using SAS Viya.

EvelynLau_0-1645939882070.png

BrianGaines
SAS Employee

Hi @EvelynLau,

Thanks for sending that screenshot. Based on that, you are currently using SAS Viya 3.5.

The version numbers that I referenced in my previous post are for Viya 4, so you are not using the latest version and your version does not have the one-hot encoding method in the Transformations node. 

How do you access Viya? Is it through Viya for Learners, or another way (such as through an employer)?

Thanks,

-Brian

EvelynLau
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @BrianGaines,

I am accessing Viya through Viya for Learners.

I guess based on your explanation, there is no way I can use the one-hot encoding method in the Transformations node except through coding.

Thanks for the information anyway and appreciate your time and assistance.

Have a good day.

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

Remember, you can always go down this road :

Class Variable One-Hot Encoding in SAS Visual Data Mining and Machine Learning
Posted 04-30-2018 03:23 PM | by chmedi
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Class-Variable-One-Hot-Encoding-in-SAS-Visual...

Koen

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation