BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
okla
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I have the following distribution, and odd ratio for an event (taking up a certain product). 

From my understanding of odd ratio, it should be interpreted as 

1) Those with NoCreditCard is more likely to take up the product vs WithCreditCard_WithTxn

2) Those with WithCreditCard_WithTxn is more likely to take up the product vs WithCreditCard_NoTxn

but why is my actual event distribution (Observed data) show that those with "No Credit Card" has only 19% that takeup the product, which is the lowest of all..... Did i read the odd ratio wrongly? 

Base DistributionEvent
No Credit Card34%19%
WithCreditCard_NoTxn55%23%
WithCreditCard_WithTxn11%31%

Point Estimate 
NoCreditCard vs WithCC_WithTxn1.196 
WithCC_NoTxn vs WithCC_WithTxn0.839 

Thanks. 

Mei. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@okla wrote:

Q1) Why the Odd ratio for A with reference to male change? Shouldn't my Odd ratio for female still the same as (A) above? Since it is still comparing female and male (ie the odd of female to buy ice cream if increase by one unit)?

Think of it as a linear regression and adding a new variable, the parameters would change. Since the parameters have changed, the odds ratio changed. 

Q2) Say (A) above is < 1, is it possible that once i added "TodayWeather", the odd ratio become > 1? Why?

Sounds like this: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

What parameterization method did you use? I suggest including your code and the relevant output directly as well. 

okla
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I am using EM 12.1, and this is the setting for logistic regression. 

SAS.png

Reeza
Super User

What are your options for INPUT CODING ?

By default SAS uses GLM which is not what a standard text book teaches. I think it’s INPUT CODING but not 100% sure. 

okla
Fluorite | Level 6

Looks like it is input coding. I have changed the setting to use "GLM" instead of "Deviation" (Default), the odd ratio has changed to this

Point Estimate
NoCreditCard vs WithCC_WithTxn0.766
WithCC_NoTxn vs WithCC_WithTxn0.839

Thank you. I must put some research on input coding. Not quite sure how it works. 

Reeza
Super User

Referential/Ref is the most common. It’s basically creating dummy variables for your categorical variables. 

okla
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Reeza, 

Sorry, coming back to this, now that i understand the different on the referential/ref, i have got a question on odd ratio... 

Say, i am trying to predict likelihood to buy ice cream (event =1 , non-event = 0) using logistic regression.

I have only one variable "Gender" (2 value= Male/Female), so, the formula would be like this.

logit(p)=β0+β1∗female

Odd ratio for female with reference to male (A) = odd(female)/odd(male)

Next, I added in "TodayWeather" (2 value = Sun/Rain).

logit(p)=β0+β1∗female+β2*SUN

Q1) Why the Odd ratio for A with reference to male change? Shouldn't my Odd ratio for female still the same as (A) above? Since it is still comparing female and male (ie the odd of female to buy ice cream if increase by one unit)?

Q2) Say (A) above is < 1, is it possible that once i added "TodayWeather", the odd ratio become > 1? Why?

Thank you again.

Reeza
Super User

@okla wrote:

Think of it as a linear regression and adding a new variable, the parameters would change. Since the parameters have changed, the odds ratio changed. 

Sounds like this: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

okla
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Reeza, thanks for your speedy reply. Really appreciate it. I think i found my answer. 🙂

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi @okla,

I'm glad you found your answer! If one of the replies was the exact solution to your problem, can you "Accept it as a solution"? Or if one was particularly helpful, feel free to "Like" it. This will help other community members who may run into the same issue know what worked.

Thanks!
Anna

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation