BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wlierman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am part of a state health organization.  The state uses SAS v10 and has an on-premise server.  I have been self-teaching a bit with SAS University and Jupyter notebook(Lab).  I am also learning Python (on Jupyter through anaconda) and so I am becoming a  fan of Jupyter notebooks for putting together code and text and visuals.

My question is how can Jupyter notebooks/Lab be used with SAS in our situation?  Would SASPy fit in?

Your direction is most appreciated, since my super supports the idea of having Jupyter as a reporting tool.  But he wants to know that question posed above.

Thank you for your help.

wlierman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sastpw
SAS Employee

Hey Walt,

Would a call work for you, even a web-ex? I think that would be a lot quicker to get an understanding of what you have and what you're trying to do. You can email me at tom.weber@sas.com and we can take this offline and figure out what will work for you.

Thanks,

Tom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sastpw
SAS Employee

Hey, yes saspy is a python module that interfaces to SAS. So, you can use it from Jupyter, or any other python UI, IDE or interface (command line, batch scripts). For Jupyter, specifically, there is also an extension called a Kernel, which lets you have a notebook that processes a language other than python. There are many different Jupyter kernels, for notebooks of other languages. We have a SAS_Kernel available for Jupyter, which also lets you code only SAS language in those notebooks.

One question I have, is what version of SAS are you running? We don't have a Version 10. Is that maybe a version number of some particular solution or some other product other than SAS itself? Here are some useful links to some into on this:

a Sample Jupyter Notebook using SASPy:

https://github.com/sassoftware/saspy-examples/blob/main/SAS_contrib/saspy_example_github.ipynb

Doc:

https://sassoftware.github.io/saspy/index.html

SASPy repo:

https://github.com/sassoftware/saspy

SAS_Kernel repo:

https://github.com/sassoftware/sas_kernel

Thanks,

Tom

wlierman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hello Tom,
Thanks for responding back.  I may be off on the version - at the state there is a what is called a SAS Enterprise server.  (I know you know this but there is no connection to SAS Enterprise Guide).  So my manager sees how Jupyter notebook connects and supports SAS University, he wants to make sure that the Jupyter notebook interface supports aterminal server environment with scores of SAS users.
I haven't opened the links that you sent yet, but it sounds from what you have written (and the couple articles that I have read) that a SAS server environment with well over a
100+ users can use Jupyter Notebook?  Can you provide a bit more of a schematic of how this connection could work?  Ultimately, to make a Jupyter Notebook interface happen on a server-size SAS installation will require IT (here at the state) to work with SAS.  Is that right?
Thanks.
Walt Lierman, Ph.D.

sastpw
SAS Employee

Hey Walt,

Would a call work for you, even a web-ex? I think that would be a lot quicker to get an understanding of what you have and what you're trying to do. You can email me at tom.weber@sas.com and we can take this offline and figure out what will work for you.

Thanks,

Tom

wlierman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Tom,

I think a discussion offline is a good idea. I will send an email to your address and we can discuss. 

Thank you.

wlierman

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation