BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jonesj22
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am trying to run some text analytics in SAS Enterprise Miner. I have a dataset with about a dozen different text variables that I would like to analyze, as well as target variable. I would like to concatenate all individual text variables into one single variable and then run that through a parsing node, and so on. I have tried doing this in Enterprise Guide but there's some sort of character limit that is cutting off my string when I concatenate them all together. So, I thought I'd export my dataset into Miner then concatenate them there, but am unsure how to do that. I thought the right move was to use the merge node, but I clearly haven't figured it out yet since no new concatenated variable with all my strings is being exported from the node.

Essentially, I am trying to turn this:

Target     var_1     var_2     var_3

1         "text1 "    "text2 "   "text3 " 

0         "text4 "    "text5 "   "text6 "

0         "text7 "     "text8 "  "text9 "

into this:

Target             all_text

1         "text1 text2 text3 "

0         "text4 text5 text6 "

0         "text7 text8 text9 "

Can anyone help me achieve this? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
SHould work fine in EG just make sure to set the length of hte variable ahead of time.

data want;
set have;
length new_col $2000.;

new_col = catx(" ", of var_1-var_3);

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
SHould work fine in EG just make sure to set the length of hte variable ahead of time.

data want;
set have;
length new_col $2000.;

new_col = catx(" ", of var_1-var_3);

run;

jonesj22
Calcite | Level 5
Yep, this did the trick. Cheers!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation