BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SundareshS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi 

I have a feeling the answer is no ... but isn't there a way we can provide a location to a filename as part of the data source in Visual Text Analytics  (much like we provided a file URL / point to a folder containing text files in Contextual Analysis / Text miner) ?

I feel it will be a convenient feature in a future release, though there might need to be some thought devoted on how to load that file (rather than just a location to that file) to CAS.

regards

Sundaresh

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RussAlbright
SAS Employee

No, we currently do not have a way to do this with text actions. Typically the server side actions only have access to content through a table and not through a file system. With the variable length characters, VIYA does not have the 32k limit. So once you have the content in a VIYA table, you can process the longer text variables. Also, if you can get the files into rows of a flat file such as a csv file, then you can use the loadTable action to create a Viya Table that holds the entire content of your observations from the csv file. 

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RussAlbright
SAS Employee

No, we currently do not have a way to do this with text actions. Typically the server side actions only have access to content through a table and not through a file system. With the variable length characters, VIYA does not have the 32k limit. So once you have the content in a VIYA table, you can process the longer text variables. Also, if you can get the files into rows of a flat file such as a csv file, then you can use the loadTable action to create a Viya Table that holds the entire content of your observations from the csv file. 

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SundareshS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. Yes, your comment about the server side actions ( ... have access to content through a table and not through a file system ) makes it clearer. At some point of time, you would need that data (the text content) in memory anyways (as a CAS table) so I now realize that there isn't much to be gained (apart from a small convenience) from what I originally wished for.

One alternative (if I want to be stubborn) is to probably make use of the python-swat package, start with a file containing location of documents , and have a python program carry out the work of collect the required text from all mentioned documents, and load it to a CAS table. Or a SAS program which does the same thing. 

Thanks again.

Sundar

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation