BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bonanza14
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have one straight forward question and one a bit more open regarding Model Studio (MS). I was wondering if anyone could help me out with grasping the main idea behind MS.

1. Is there a possibility to see what code exactly is invoked after using a Native Node in MS for validation purposes?

2. I was thinking about general idea behind Model Studio. As I see it, it is possible to click out a simple model by using Native Nodes which change &dm_data which represents the input data and its metadata automatically. I was wondering what if I am not satisfied with Native Node options (or if answer to the first question is negative) and whether it really makes sense to use MS just for its integration with Model Manager and handling scoring code?

The downside as I see is that there are a lot of processes being invoked behind the scenes within every Node. All built-in macros have a purpose of handling data and metadata of the project and therefore technical tables are created to support the ongoing process in the pipeline. That also means that for instance just to invoke macro parameters from a parent node, table has to be created with macro parameters and its values, register using built-in macro and then fetched from a child node as on example shown on github. Also, looks like MS is designed in a way that process single input table and handles it and its metadata across the node. However, when complex computations and table handling is needed, it becomes a bit inconvenient, but does not necessarily have to be a bad thing. It imposes a new approach for modelers to build SAS code rather then handling one table into many in variety of ways while looping and working within WORK library. Seems like nodes impose a different approach to handling input data.

To sum it up, I am wondering what are your thoughts or whether anyone else had troubles with deciding whether to stick with SAS Studio while migrating their processes to Viya or chose Model Studio for modeling purposes without using Native Nodes, even if that means some troubles with migrating current SAS 9.4 code to Code Nodes in Model Studio.

I would love to hear about your experiences with Model Studio and your thoughts about it.

Kind Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation