BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shibbir63
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I will be grateful if you could kindly tell me  if the outcomes of K-means clustering and logistic regression are comparable, like we compare classification decision tree with logistic regression for model performance.

Regards,

Shibbir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
Market Basket Analysis actually is not a model, just a summary statistic method.
But it is NON-Supervise learning model like K-means .

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

"Comparable" is a relatively vague and subjective term, and even though you provide an analogy, the exact analogy really doesn't mean anything to me.

How would you propose we compare K-means and Logistic regression? On what criteria should they be compared?

--
Paige Miller
shibbir63
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. 

If both K-means and Logistic regression are applied to the same data set, are their performance comparable to determine which model to choose as final model, or they are used to model different kind of outcomes and as a result not comparable.

For example, we can compare Decision tree with Logistic regression to assess their relative performance based on confusion metrics, ROC curve, errors etc. to determine which model perfumed well and be chosen.

I am a new learner in this space, so a little insights will be great. So far I have not come across any example during the last few weeks related to comparing K-means and logistic regression.

Kind regards,

Shibbir

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Totally agree with @Ksharp . These two methods cannot be compared.

--
Paige Miller
Ksharp
Super User
No. They are totally different model.
K-means is NON-Supervise learning model (doesn't have Y),
while Logistic is Supervise learning model (have Y).

K-means can't be used to predicting model, but Logistic could .
shibbir63
Calcite | Level 5
Many thanks @Ksharp .

And what about K-means, and Association/Market Basket Analysis? Are they also completely different?

Kind regards,

Shibbir
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@shibbir63 wrote:
Many thanks @Ksharp .

And what about K-means, and Association/Market Basket Analysis? Are they also completely different?

Ask yourself the question: what types of data do these work on? Does not that provide the answer?

by the way ... you really need to avoid subjective terms like "completely different" and actually state the criteria you want to use, because you really want to evaluate the procedures by certain criteria, whereas other criteria are probably not relevant. For example, both K-means and Association/Market Basket analysis are tools that work on data, so they are not completely different, but this is probably irrelevant.

--
Paige Miller
Ksharp
Super User
Market Basket Analysis actually is not a model, just a summary statistic method.
But it is NON-Supervise learning model like K-means .
shibbir63
Calcite | Level 5
Many thanks Ksharp.

The clarification is really helpful in my learning .

Regards,

Shibbir

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation