BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
echo991
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I got a question here:

suppose I transfer a character variable to numeric variable, and I'll get a new numeric variable, and this new variable will be output at the end of my dataset.  I know I can use retain statement to reorder variables. But if I have lots of variables, I need to type all variable names, really inconverient. Any other way to directly replace character variable?

for example:

I have variables: A B C D E  

then Character to numeric and drop character: B C D E F(numeric, transferred from A)

then retain statement to reorder: F B C D E

Is ther a way to replace A with F directly?

many thanks,

Amy

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

Unfortunately, You have to type all these variable name to reorder them. But you can let SAS do it for you .

data class;
 set sashelp.class;
run;

proc transpose data=class(obs=0) out=name;
 var _all_;
run;
data name;
 length _name_ $ 80;
 set name;
 if upcase(_name_)='AGE' then _name_='new_age';
run;
proc sql noprint;
 select _name_ into : list separated by ' '
  from name;
quit;

data want;
 set class;
 new_age=put(age,best8.);
 drop age;
run;
data want;
 retain &list;
 set want;
run;
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

You could use SQL:

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select  input(A,best.) as A,
          B,C,D,E,F
  from    HAVE;
quit;

I would be careful doing an automated convert every variable to number - you could get into all kinds of problems.

At the end of the day however, position of variable in the dataset does not matter in the context of programming, only for output, so the only place you need to fix this is for output - e.g. reports - rtf, pdf - or data transfer.  At that point you would fix it anyways?  So whats the need for this?

echo991
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the reply.
I have many variables need to compare simultaneously, but I don't want to rearrange variable every time.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Can I suggest an example of what you mean, what comparison are you doing?  I thought this was about order of variables.  How will you know what variables are to be changed, do they all have a prefix?

Also, why do you have "lots of variables", which immediately throws up questions to my mind, as it is far easier from a programming point of view to be talking about lots of observations rather than variables.  (Test data as a datastep and required outpu is also useful - note that the data you work with does not need to look like any output report or transfer file).

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Here's another option:

/* Create test data */

data have;
array x $3 A B C D E (5*'123');
run;

/* Replace character variable C with a numeric variable F in the same position in the PDV */

data want;
if 0 then set have(keep=A--B); /* A--C works as well */
length F 8;
set have;
F=input(C, 32.);
drop C;
run;

/* View the result */

proc contents data=want varnum;
run;

The first SET statement creates the first part of the PDV, although it is not executed (as the IF condition is never satisfied), and thus ensures the desired position of the new variable. Thanks to the variable list there is no need to type many variable names.

If you want to replace the first variable (A) as in your example, you don't even need the additional SET statement. The LENGTH statement before the (other) SET statement suffices to create F in the first position of the PDV.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation