BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

We are using SAS in unix enviroments, in order to access SQL server data with ODBC, the  SQL server name, port#,databasename, user and password etc needs to define in the ODBC.ini file in the unix enviroments.

My question is: Is the user authentication has to be SQL Server authentication? or Can the user use withdowns NT authentication with network login ID? Thank you!

Jade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aj34321
Quartz | Level 8

You can use both authentications..  

But when using Windows NT user account, ensure to make changes to ODBC file and add AuthenticationMethod=9 and Domain=<WIndows domain name>

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
aj34321
Quartz | Level 8

You can use both authentications..  

But when using Windows NT user account, ensure to make changes to ODBC file and add AuthenticationMethod=9 and Domain=<WIndows domain name>

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you!

If use Windows authentications, do I need to collect all the unique user ID and their windows password in the ODBC.ini file under unix environment? Sorry if it's a silly question, really a newbie with unix here:)

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Jade_SAS

You would not need to put userid/passwords in the odbc.ini file. You can specify them in your SAS LIBNAME statement. 

There is an SGF paper that may be able to provide some insights: An Insider's Guide to SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you Jeff! Which one is the most general configuration in ODBC.ini file for SAS under Unix environment, SQL Server authentication or windows NT authentication? What's the advance and disadvantage of these two?
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

I think SQL Server authentication is common, but I don't have a lot of field experience with customer setups. SQL Server authentication. Server authentication is the quickest way to try it out. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Windows Authentication is best because you don't need to supply a userid or password as SQL Server authenticates against the userid you logged onto Windows with.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation