BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

If we have existing SAS 9.4 up and running,

What is the minimum requirement to import and export data to hadoop from SAS? Is that possible without purchasing any additional SAS components? Do i must have SAS/ACCESS for Hadoop?

Is it must to have one of the hadoop distribution like cloudera...? or i can run Apache hadoop on commodity HW and work and connect with SAS?

This is not for production environment, it just for testing and understanding SAS and hadoop? I know that there are many consideration for planning for hadoop, but i am asking for the simplest connection and interaction.

Also is this enough to run the transformation in DIS?

I am not looking for document, but looking for short experienced comments and advice and will go in details later.

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Too lazy are we? Smiley Wink

Short answer: using file interface with hdfs using FILENAME and SPDE hdfs engine requires Base SAS.

For data base queries against Hive, you need SAS/ACCESS license.

Data never sleeps
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

Thanks a lot

What about the supported Hadoop distribution, it must be (C, H, MapR, IBM, Pivotal) or a running Hadoop on Linux (Single-Node Cluster) is working too? is there any other restrictions?

After that will the Hadoop transformation in DIS work except the hive one sure?

DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

The prereqs for the Hadoop transformations in DI Studio are described in this topic:

SAS(R) Data Integration Studio 4.9: User's Guide

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please, you could check this out in the system requirements as well as having us do it.

On what functionality is covered is quite clearly described under each product (Base, DI Studio, SAS/ACCESS).

Data never sleeps
DWarner
SAS Employee

With just Base SAS, you can use the FILENAME statement to access data in HDFS, PROC HADOOP to interact with Hadoop data by running Apache Hadoop code, and the SPD Engine to write data, retrieve data, perform administrative functions and even update data in HDFS.

The version of SAS 9.4 determines which Hadoop distributions are supported. This site lists the SAS 9.4 supported Hadoop distributions for several SAS products, offerings, and technologies, including the Base SAS FILENAME statement, PROC HADOOP, and the SPD Engine:

SAS 9.4 Supported Hadoop Distributions

If you would like overview information for SAS and Hadoop technologies, use this document. Each overview tells you what the product is, what's required, and where to go for more detailed documentation. 

SAS and Hadoop Technology: Overview

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation