BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Can i use to deploy,monitor,track each DI Jobs if i am using sas DI on windows & i want to monitor DI jobs in UNIX server using sas data management software?HOW? Thank you ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe you've asked a very similar question already somewhere else.

SAS DI is the client. During development you run your code directly out of DI for unit testing. The code gets then sent to the server for execution and you get the log back into DI (same as running code out of SAS EG).

You deploy DI jobs (=generate the code and save it as .sas files) to a server where you then can run this deployed jobs in batch. You will normally use a scheduler to run your deployed jobs in batch. And you will use whatever job monitoring is used at your site. Depending of what you've licensed SAS comes with some options "OOTB": http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/scheduleug/68697/PDF/default/scheduleug.pdf

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe you've asked a very similar question already somewhere else.

SAS DI is the client. During development you run your code directly out of DI for unit testing. The code gets then sent to the server for execution and you get the log back into DI (same as running code out of SAS EG).

You deploy DI jobs (=generate the code and save it as .sas files) to a server where you then can run this deployed jobs in batch. You will normally use a scheduler to run your deployed jobs in batch. And you will use whatever job monitoring is used at your site. Depending of what you've licensed SAS comes with some options "OOTB": http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/scheduleug/68697/PDF/default/scheduleug.pdf

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you are on 9.4 you got Environment Manager that should cover most of your monitoring needs.

Data never sleeps
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Patrick & Linus.....

I am at initial phase of sas di so facing some issues i know till scheduling deployed jobs but i want to track performance,status or monitor these running/scheduled jobs in remote Unix server(connection via putty,mobaxterm)? I want to run nmon command also to track performance of di jobs.... is it possible? my question is how we can commumicate from local server to unix server to make above task?

Waiting for help....Thank you.!!!

Quentin
Super User

Yes, if your SAS DI jobs are running on SAS running on a Unix server, it's certainly possible to open a putty terminal or whatever to use that to monitor processes running on the server.  And of course there are other options for monitoring performance, through server logging, DI studio itself, whatever scheduling facility you use, etc.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Quentin for quick response,

But issue is like my sas files are on another working server. So we can have multiple servers in sas.

so can we communicate among two severs suppose another one is Unix server and i want to track DI jobs performance on that server??

Thank you.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"So we can have multiple servers in sas."

DIS is your client (not the server). The SAS code gets executed on the server. Unless you're running in a GRID environment all jobs will get executed on the same server at a time. Do you run in a GRID environment?

Quentin
Super User

I'm confused.

If your goal is to track SAS process using native Unix commands, then I would think easiest thing to do it up open a terminal connection to whatever server you want to look at, and run your favorite commands.

So from my PC, I can open DI studio (client software) and start a job on some Unix server.  Then I could open a terminal connection to that server and watch as the job completes.

If you want to use other tools to track jobs, then, as said by others above, you can do some tracking from DI studio, and more via whatever job scheduling/tracking processes you have in place.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Tushh
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much For valuable information & your precious time..

All issues are sorted now from your guidance. Keep it up.

Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation