BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jmckenzie
Calcite | Level 5

I have an excel file in which two of the fields are 'Area' and 'Chart_Field_1'.  I would like each Area to be exported to an individual Excel file, and for each Chart_Field_1 within that Area to have its own sheet.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You might end up with different export statements for each area/chart field option.  In the current version of SAS, you can send data to the same file but different sheets by using the "sheet=" option.

something like

proc export data=srcdata (where=(area='Area1' and chart_field_1='c1')) file=a1 dbms=xlsx replace; sheet='c1';

proc export data=srcdata (where=(area='Area1' and chart_field_1='c2')) file=a1 dbms=xlsx replace; sheet='c2';

proc export data=srcdata (where=(area='Area2' and chart_field_1='c1')) file=a2 dbms=xlsx replace; sheet='c1';

proc export data=srcdata (where=(area='Area2' and chart_field_1='c2')) file=a2 dbms=xlsx replace; sheet='c2';

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8
If you have a large number of values for "Area" and "Chart_Field_1", you can use a macro to loop through the possible values and output a corresponding Excel workbook for each value of "Area" containing separate spreadsheets for each value of "Chart_Field_1".

To give you some ideas, look at this post: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Split-SAS-Output-into-multiple-Sheets/td-p/18996

If the number of variables is small, you could hard-code them.
jmckenzie
Calcite | Level 5

I have a large number of variables so I'll need to go the macro route. 

Not sure what I'm doing, this is what I have so far.  What am I doing wrong?

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.IDs DATAFILE= "G:\FinUnitReporting\IFASDEMIScombined.xlsx"
            DBMS=xlsx REPLACE;
     SHEET="sheet1";
     GETNAMES=YES;
RUN;

proc sql;
create table RawData as
 select *
 from work.IDs;

*;
%macro rpt(area);
Proc sql;
  Create table t1 as
Select * from RawData
Where area = “&area.”;
%mend;
*;
%put _user_;
/* for testing
%rpt(CF1);
*/
/*************************************************************
   loop processing
**************************************************************/
*;
proc sql;
  create table grp1 as
  select distinct area
  from  RawData
  order by 1;
quit;
filename loops TEMP;
DATA _NULL_;
FILE LOOPS;
SET grp1
  PUT '%rpt (' area  ');' / '*;';
run;
*;
%inc loops;
*;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation