BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all,

I am running a do loop and got into this hash error, wonder how can I deal with this error. please note I'm runing with SAS EG on linux server. (SAS EG is on my laptop)

Detailed error info:

ERROR: Hash object added 0 items when memory failure occurred.

FATAL: Insufficient memory to execute DATA step program. Aborted during the EXECUTION phase.

ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.

Possible solution I can think of:

1) Split big data set to small ones. I have total records about 3500000, it seems I need to split to at least 15 data sets. (I tested the small data set ran through the sas code successfully)

2) Increase the memory size?

I ran the code Proc Options group=memory; runand the results are as follows:

Group=MEMORY

SORTSIZE=1073741824

Specifies the amount of memory that is available to the SORT procedure.

SUMSIZE=0 Specifies a limit on the amount of memory that is available for data summarization procedures when class

variables are active.

MAXMEMQUERY=268435456

For certain procedures, specifies the maximum amount of memory that can be allocated per request.

LOADMEMSIZE=0 Specifies a suggested amount of memory that is needed for executable programs loaded by SAS.

MEMSIZE=2147483648

Specifies the limit on the amount of virtual memory that can be used during a SAS session.

REALMEMSIZE=0 Specifies the amount of real memory SAS can expect to allocate.

Please advise what I should do, any suggestion is welcome. Thank you!

Jade

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

What are you trying to do with the hash? At 3.5 million records a plain sort/lookup may be better than a divide and conquer approach. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation