BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
VS
Calcite | Level 5 VS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, we recieve monthly data and create YTD data. Before i just had a code  e.g. "DATA YTDdat; SET dJan dFeb ... dDec;RUN;". If there was no month mentioned in a SET statement, it would give me an error message, but will append all existing months all the same. Now I am creating essentially the same code, but it gives an error message e.g. "ERROR: File ONL_DEC15.DATA does not exist" but does not create a file with existing months. My question: is there a way to create YTD data automatically, depending on whether the data for a particular month exists?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9

Here You go ...

data jan;
input X;
datalines;
;
data Feb;
input X;
datalines;
;
OPTIONS  NODSNFERR;
data want;
set jan HELLOOOO Feb;
/* "HELLOOOO" data dont exists */
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pearsoninst
Pyrite | Level 9

Here You go ...

data jan;
input X;
datalines;
;
data Feb;
input X;
datalines;
;
OPTIONS  NODSNFERR;
data want;
set jan HELLOOOO Feb;
/* "HELLOOOO" data dont exists */
run;

VS
Calcite | Level 5 VS
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot! Have to learn more about OPTIONS.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As with anything else, I would not recommend putting "data" in the table name or table headers.  Consider your approach, what happens if you get updates for a month, what happens the next year etc.  Would it not be far easier to work with one large dataset which has another column:
DATE_RECIEVED   Other variables...

Then each upload, you insert the new data with a given date.  Then your programs can be written to just point to one dataset, and use the date variable to group.  Far easier than messing around with filenames etc.

VS
Calcite | Level 5 VS
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. This is very valuable suggestion. i've got several projects which will benefit from this approach.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation