BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jakubniescior
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have a question about LASR 2.8

From what I read, loading data into LASR is the same as putting data into memory (not physically copying it to other place in hard drive)

To do this in non-distributed version we have to just use data step to create table in lasr server.

(For example, copy data as table from one database system to LASR)

So now, after moving it to memory we have to register our table to be able to use it with SAS VA.

What happens when we register this table with metalib procedure?

We have to select name of registered table and folder to store data.

Please let me know if this text is true so far and let me know answers to below questions:
1. If we copy table to LASR, is the data only in memory and it stays in memory? When is it removed?

2. When we register table with metalib procedure, does it create physical file? Does this procedure create any form of our data? Just beside of metadata which I understand as basic information about the table and not the data itself.

3. What is the folder given in metalib procedure? Does it indicate place where the data is stored/saved? Is in in memory?

Thank you

Jakub

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

1. A LASR table stays in memory until it is deleted/unloaded by a VA user or the LASR server is stopped or the SAS VA app server is rebooted.

2. Registering the table in metadata is just that - it is quite separate from loading the table into LASR memory. METALIB only does the metadata registration, not the loading into LASR. You can't register a table until it is loaded into LASR memory, but you can delete a LASR table and still keep the metadata registration. You can also load a table without registering it in metadata, but that means you can't use it in SAS VA reporting.

3. The metadata folder relates to metadata only and is nothing to do with physical file folders. Metadata folders are a way organising objects and controlling permissions and access to the LASR data, and other metadata objects like VA report definitions.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

1. A LASR table stays in memory until it is deleted/unloaded by a VA user or the LASR server is stopped or the SAS VA app server is rebooted.

2. Registering the table in metadata is just that - it is quite separate from loading the table into LASR memory. METALIB only does the metadata registration, not the loading into LASR. You can't register a table until it is loaded into LASR memory, but you can delete a LASR table and still keep the metadata registration. You can also load a table without registering it in metadata, but that means you can't use it in SAS VA reporting.

3. The metadata folder relates to metadata only and is nothing to do with physical file folders. Metadata folders are a way organising objects and controlling permissions and access to the LASR data, and other metadata objects like VA report definitions.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation