BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ciphercong
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I created two tables with identical columns table A has 1.5 million records and SAS table B has 6.5 million records, saved in same library, both are read from text files. (A from A.txt and B from B.txt)

The problem I have is , although A is 1/4 the size of B , A is shown 50GB(yes 50GB) in storage and B is shown only 5 GB.

I wonder what caused that? Apparently based on my experience B's size looks reasonable, but I could not identify any issues with A, so I have no idea why table A took 50 GB in storage. (they have identical columns)

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Run PROC CONTENTS on your data sets and check the lengths of the variables in them. Should give you the answer.

Astounding
PROC Star

It's possible you created A using compress=no and B using compress=yes (or possibly compress=binary).

ciphercong
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you! I think they are both uncompressed but worth trying..

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation