BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Venkat4
Quartz | Level 8

I am wondering what kind of version control tool everyone uses to manage SAS program versions. 

Can you please suggest the one you like and easier to use?

I also would like to know the setup for this tool such as Tortoise SVN - I have installed this in my computer, but setting a repository seems challenging and not straight forward. How do I connect the repository to my SAS grid server. Admins have not used any such tools, but they are willing to try out if we suggest any.  

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There are many posts on this topic in the community mentioning many of the tools available. My best advice: investigate the version control tools already used in your organisation first as it is a lot easier to use company-supported tools than it is to manage your own. SAS programs are simply text files so they will work with virtually version control tool.

As an example of the info available here is a link to a post I had some input into re TFS (Team Foundation Server) and Microsoft Visual Studio:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/Using-TFS-for-SAS-version-control/m-p/1...

I stress this is not pushing TFS as the best solution for you, just an example of the valuable insights you can gain. I can't stress enough my best advice above! 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Venkat4 wrote:

I am wondering what kind of version control tool everyone uses to manage SAS program versions. 

Can you please suggest the one you like and easier to use?

SVN, simply because it's the one the company uses for all other versioning needs (PL/1, SQL, Java). We use the company-customized Eclipse for check-out/check-in/codereview, and EG for SAS development.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Some great advice given here.  I have used TortoiseSVN myself, and it is very good, pretty simple to setup.  However for your situation I do not know.  I would suggest you sit down with your IT group/programming group, assess the needs, current software, other software/ ways of working and such like.  It is very hard for someone from outside to just give advice, I mean bringing in consultants to do this type of thing normlly takes months.  Its not just as simple as plonk some software on there and everything is fine.  You need to consider working practices, access rights, backup etc.  It is a whole process.  

PeterB_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Venkat4,

Thank you for posting on the SAS Community! We are rolling out a new feature in the Data Management Community - video responses to your questions. You can find the video below. There are also links under the video to resources that I referenced in my response. If you still have questions or any feedback feel free to reply. 

SGF paper on SAS and GIT: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS179-2014.pdf

SAS Blog on GIT: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2019/01/17/git-in-sas/

SGF paper on Subversion:  http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/365-2012.pdf

Pharma SAS User's Group paper on Subversion: https://www.pharmasug.org/proceedings/2015/PO/PharmaSUG-2015-PO09.pdf

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

A tad random, replying to two year old posts?  

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi @RW9 ,

It does seem random doesn't it? This thread came up on our top-trafficked topic list for the month and didn't have a solution, so we took a closer look at it, then decided to center our first "Dear Data Management" video answer on it. 

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@AnnaBrown  - thanks for the explanation! I had a suspicion it was something to do with the high number of views.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Makes sense.  Perhaps one for the suggestions box then.  Old posts get closed, but can have - in addition to a correct answer - a provided link to specific additional help.  So Question, Answer, Additional Information.

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Good idea @RW9! Ideally the correct answer would be so comprehensive that it provides such additional information. But as you know that's not always the case. Having an option to formally select "additional info" is something definitely to consider. Thanks!

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

CJac73
Obsidian | Level 7
I used PVCS Version Manager at the city. I was the QA manager and it worked very well for groups and individual coders. There are plenty of open source applications.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation