BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ENM
Calcite | Level 5 ENM
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

When we were using SAS 9.3 I could simply select all the below fields, copy them using CTRL-C, and paste them directly into Excel. Now, using SAS 9.4, the two left-hand columns cannot be copied, because they are formatted. Only plain values, such as in the right-hand column, can be copied. If I select all three column and hit CTRL-C, nothing is copied.

The only semi-practical workaround I've found, is to set up an extract where I convert all formatted numerics into characters, which enables me to copy them. However this can be very tedious when there's many numeric columns; especially when there's many dates which must be converted.

Extracting the work table to a CSV-file isn't an option, because these data extractions must be made from our production environment, where I don't have authorization to access PIPE.

Is there any setting I (or an administrator) can adjust in order to enable us to copy formatted numeric values from DI Studio to Excel, like we could in SAS 9.3?

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I'm just in the process of upgrading, so I haven't tested myself.

But I wonder about this issue. Annoying I believe. But I don't understand why this could be an issue in a production environment. Running jobs interactively and browse partial results seems more like typical development/test situation.

There are other tool that may be more useful for ad-hoc queries and data analysis (and Excel-reporting), such Enterprise Guide.

Data never sleeps
ENM
Calcite | Level 5 ENM
Calcite | Level 5

True I typically use EG to handle such queries, but once in a while I get a request which can be handled more efficiently by copying a DI Studio job to 'my folder', making some slight adjustments to it there, then copy/pasting the output directly into a spreadsheet. At least that used to be the case, before we migrated to SAS 9.4 and this problem started occurring.

ballardw
Super User

Add an ODS output destination perhaps?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Either way, you may want to report this to SAS tech support.

What is effective depends on the user, I often use EG, open the deployed SAS code, make my adjustments and execute it.

But I'm glad to hear that there are users/developers who like working in DIS, unfortunately it's often the opposite...

Data never sleeps
ENM
Calcite | Level 5 ENM
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, I reported it to tech support last week and will let you know if they resolve the issue for me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation