BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jpsmith
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, I am trying to transpose some data, which, on its face sounds easy. Though please before you grumble at me, know that I have searched around and in the SAS manual and I cant seem to find exactly what I am looking for; the process of discovery is much more important to learning and long-term retention, but in this case I am stumped. 

The data are currently in the following format:

StudyID     Variable        database_value

00001        STE_TEST    12.1

00002        PAC_RES     Yes

00003        NST_RES     15.6

00003        STE_TEST    91.2

00004        PAC_RES     No

I need the data to look like this:

StudyID     STE_TEST     PAC_RES     NST_RES

00001        12.1

00002                               Yes

00003        91.2                                    15.6

00004                               No

I have several (~30) datasets that need transforming all in the same way. An example of one dataset (named albuminresult) shows how the data are currently formatted, which I have converted to a data step using the SAS macro here

data WORK.ALBUMINRESULT;
  infile datalines dsd truncover;
  input StudyID:$5. VisitType:$1. Variable:$17. database_value:$30.;
  label StudyID="StudyID" VisitType="VisitType" Variable="Variable" database_value="database_value";
datalines4;
K6002,,LabNo,PED0225
K6004,,ReqdDilution,2
K6048,,ReqdDilution,0
K6073,,ReasDilutNotReqd,n/a
K6076,,ResultmgL,12
K6086,,ReasDilutNotReqd,n/a
K6163,,ReasDilutNotReqd,n/a
K6165,,ReasDilutNotReqd,n/a
K6467,,ResultDate,04MAR2015:0:00:00.00
K6548,,Result,3
;;;;

As you can see from the above examples, values in the column "variable" need to be turned into variables, and the values of the variable "database_value" needs to be the value of the newly created variable. An example of what I need the data to look like (called "need") if the above albumin result dataset were properly formatted is below (data stepped):

data WORK.NEED;
  infile datalines dsd truncover;
  input StudyID:$5. LabNo:$7. ReqdDilution:32. ReasDilutNotReqd:$3. ResultmgL:32. ResultDate:$20. Result:$1.;
  label StudyID="StudyID" LabNo="LabNo" ReqdDilution="ReqdDilution" ReasDilutNotReqd="ReasDilutNotReqd" ResultmgL="ResultmgL" ResultDate="ResultDate" Result="Result";
datalines4;
K6002,PED0225,,,,,
K6004,,2,,,,
K6048,,0,,,,
K6073,,,n/a,,,
K6076,,,,12,,
K6086,,,n/a,,,
K6163,,,n/a,,,
K6165,,,n/a,,,
K6467,,,,,04MAR2015:0:00:00.00,
K6548,,,,,,3
;;;;

Obviously a PROC TRANSPOSE can put the variable values up in the columns, but (1) repeated values also get transposed and (2) I am unsure how to correctly match/tie in the values from the "database_value" variable. 

Any help with even this one dataset would be amazing. But as I mentioned there are ~30 "datasets." Though to be more specific, they are all tables in an Access database and I pull them in using the "libname x Access 'C://example.accdb'; Proc XYZ data=x.tablename;..." route. Moreover, the variable values will be different in each table. Ultimately, the goal is to compare an access database with the incorrectly formatted data with a master database that has the correctly formatted data. So my plan of action is to correctly reformat all of the Access tables into individual SAS datasets, then create a new Access database using PROC COPY, which I have successfully done before. Of course, I am open to suggestions. 

Thank you for your help!

I apologize if this me simply missing something elementary. 

Jonathan Smith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

PROC TRANSPOSE does contain a statement to place the data in the columns that you want.  Try:

proc transpose data=have out=want;

var database_value;

id variable;

by StudyId;

run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Astounding
PROC Star

PROC TRANSPOSE does contain a statement to place the data in the columns that you want.  Try:

proc transpose data=have out=want;

var database_value;

id variable;

by StudyId;

run;

jpsmith
Fluorite | Level 6

I may have marked this completed too soon - it appears that for that one table it worked, but for many of the tables being converted, errors pop up (I thought I had tried this, and now remember that it didn't work, at least for me).

Since it is longer, I am attaching another macro-created datastep to provide an example of when it didnt work, and the error log that goes with it when I run it (note: I had to change the extension from ".log" to ".txt").

Any suggestions?

Astounding
PROC Star

You'll have to actually show the results.  Few people will trust an attachment.

The most common problem with this type of program is a data issue, not a programming issue.  What should the result be, if there are two observations that both have the same value for StudyID and Variable?  You need to decide how to handle that situation when there is only one spot available to hold two values.

jpsmith
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much for your quick response - it does seem to be a data issue, your suggested code works perfectly. I had gotten close on my own so I cant thank you enough for helping me figure this out!

jpsmith
Fluorite | Level 6

Just to note, after looking into the SAS documentation a bit more, adding a LET statement in the proc transpose line solved the specific issue of duplicates I was referring to in my follow up. It may not solve other people's specific situation, but a good tool to have in the toolbar. Thanks again for your help!

Jonathan

If others are interested, more info on the LET statement and dealing with duplicate values in proc transpose: 

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/65145/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1r2tjnp8ewe3sn1acnpn...

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/65145/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0mwa670j36v2an1ojkae...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation