BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pat2
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am having problems with trying to transform a data set into the correct structure and I am hoping someone can give me some pointers.  I have a data set indicating the date each person was at a specific stage.

I need to create a table showing a count of how many people were at each stage at the end of each month.  For example,

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

Can you please frame your question like 1. have dataset sample and  2. want dataset explaining in detail what you want

art297
Opal | Level 21

You never finished your sentence ("For example, "), thus one can only guess.

Are you possibly looking for something like?:

data need (keep=id stage date);

set have;

array dates(stage) stage1-stage4;

do over dates;

date=month(dates);

output;

end;

run;

proc freq data=need;

tables stage*date;

run;

Astounding
PROC Star

Art,

Given the possibility that there might be data in more than one year, I might simplify your solution:

data need (keep=stage date);

set have;

array dates (stage) stage1-stage4;

do over dates;

date=dates;

output;

end;

run;

proc freq data=need;

tables stage*date;

format date monyy7.;

run;

Of course, Reeza's suggestion might also be true where one date needs to be applied to several stages, and thus output several times.  But the poster will have to address that.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Astounding: Agreed!

Reeza
Super User

You need to transform your data to something like this and then run a proc freq:

For patient 1

Month Stage

Mar2010 1

Apr2010 2

May2010 2

Jun2010 3

Jul2010 3

Aug2010 4

art297
Opal | Level 21

Fareeza: FWIW, that is what the code I proposed does. It uses the feature (assigning array position as a variable in defining an array) that I learned this morning from data_null_.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation