BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rajagopal_sampath
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I am very new to this.. So kindly bear with me if I am wrong in this..

We are using SAP HANA. There are details about the manufacturing plants in it. Some of the plants don't exist now.

Say, there were different plants initially A,B,C,D and E. Now, the plant E is shut down as all the work done in plant E is being done by plant D itself.

The data in the ERP about transactions at plant E(old transactions) are now considered to be that of plant D's transaction in order to forecast the demand.

If my understanding is right, I hope that the data is Extracted and Loaded in the SAS servers. So, is there a way to take care of the manipulations in the SAS side such that they don't modify the previous data in the ERP?

Thanks,

Raj

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I moved this to the community, in hopes that the experts there might be able to contribute a response.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

This is a design and an architectural issue, which is hard to fully grasp and answer in this way.

Given that SAS have been loading data on a regular basis from SAP, so that history is maintained in SAS, yes, you could to whatever transformations you need to fulfill business requirements.

But that requires a multi layered architecture, where your detail data is historized and untouched, and you have a second layer ("data mart") where you can apply business ("soft") rules to your data.

Data never sleeps
rajagopal_sampath
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Linus,

We have been using Informatica Tool to do ETL operations and perform staging on an Oracle db before loading the ERP data onto the data sets of SAS.

Could this staging, done in Oracle database (for transformation purposes only), be avoided? I am asking this since all the operations in SAS are performed only after placing the data in SAS Data Sets.

I assume that Data Surveyors for SAP would help eliminate the staging process. Kindly, correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions Linus

Thanks,

Raj

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Again,  you can't base an architectural decision based short messages on a forum. You need an on site resource that can dig into the issue. That said - still not understand exactly what data loads where and how. Sounds like you are having at least one component too much in the setup. Normal flow is: source/ERP - staging - detail DW - data marts/analytical mart. What roles does HANA and SAS take given this description?

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation