BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
arsy1198
Calcite | Level 5

Hello! First time poster here. So I'm working with SAS 9.4 and I'm trying to open datasets downloaded from Dropbox directly into my SAS software. However, when I try to open this download, I receive an error and a blank dataset. Is there any way to download datasets from a different server (i.e., Dropbox) into SAS 9.4 without having to go through the associated Excel file first? I'm working in a team and we're trying to find a way to directly edit the dataset without having to edit the Excel file first then having to import it to update the dataset. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Run this statement then try opening the datasets again. The datasets contain variables with SAS formats assigned which you haven't defined.

options nofmterr;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

Welcome to the SAS communities 😉.

You have posted in the data management SOLUTION board.

But are you using a SAS data management solution

like Data Integration Studio or DataFlux or a solution for Data Quality or ...?

I have the impression you are just using 'plain' SAS in an (program) editor. Is that right? In that case, the programming board would have been a better choice.

Can you show the LOG of what you are doing? Does it show an ERROR message?

Paste the LOG in the screen that pops up after clicking the </> icon in the toolbar. Otherwise the LOG is losing structure and formatting.

Cheers,

Koen

arsy1198
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry about that, but yes, I'm just using plain SAS. I'll make sure to keep that in mind next time.

So I'm just trying to open a dataset I downloaded from Dropbox into SAS. However, when I try to open it, I receive the pop-up, "ERROR: Unable to open the table TMP2.MARCH3DATA. TMP2.march3data cannot be opened. Do you want to select a different table to open?" and this is what shows up in my LOG

ERROR: Format AFRAIDQA not found or couldn't be loaded for variable AFRAIDQ.
ERROR: Format HUNGRYJA not found or couldn't be loaded for variable HUNGRYJOB.

According to the creator of the dataset, these are variables aren't ones she created so she's not sure why they're showing up in the dataset. Any explanations would be great, thanks!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Run this statement then try opening the datasets again. The datasets contain variables with SAS formats assigned which you haven't defined.

options nofmterr;

arsy1198
Calcite | Level 5

Yup, this command worked. Thank you so much! Really appreciate it 🙂

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation