BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JackyK
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone, 

First time posting, I don't know if this is the right place to ask. But I'm using ODBC to access a database. I'm trying to read a table with a name longer than 32 characters. Are there anyway to work around this problem? 

Asking the database management to change the table name is not an option...

An example of my code:

data t;
   set mylib.xxx;
run;

where 'xxx' is actually 51 characters long. 

Currently I have two solutions in mind:

1) Uninstalling current SAS and download the 64 bit version

2) Export the data by hand

But I would like to know if there are other simpler approaches before I try these two options. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Personally I like to yell at people that think it is helpful to make longer and longer table and variable names.

But it normally is the same as yelling at a brick wall.

Try just using pass thru SQL.

proc sql;
connect using mylib;
create table t as select * from connection to mylib
(select * from my_table_with_a_name_so_long_that_it_is_longer_than_any_single_line_of_a_program_should_be
);
quit;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

This question has been asked several times. Beside my short notes, do a seach to get more flesh on th bone.
1. Create views in the database that complies with SAS naming conventions.
2. Use SQL Explicit Pass Through to make the mapping to SAS compliant names in your query.

Your option 1 won't help.

Data never sleeps
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

as @LinusH says you may want to have the DB admins create view that are consistent with SAS.  

Views will not require them to dedicate permanent data storage.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Personally I like to yell at people that think it is helpful to make longer and longer table and variable names.

Try just using pass thru SQL.

proc sql;
connect using mylib;
create table t as select * from connection to mylib
(select * from my_table_with_a_name_so_long_that_it_is_longer_than_any_single_line_of_a_program_should_be
);
quit;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Tom wrote:

Let's me think of the phrase "Thick as a brick".

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Kurt_Bremser  - you're not a fan of Jethro Tull are you by any chance?! Happen to be listening to the album of that name right now LOL.

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

I am a fan of Jethro Tull.  Thanks @SASKiwi for taking me back 40 years.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@SASKiwi wrote:

@Kurt_Bremser  - you're not a fan of Jethro Tull are you by any chance?! Happen to be listening to the album of that name right now LOL.

Well, I'm a little more mainstream there. My favorite is Aqualung, as it contains one of the most iconic rock pieces ever.

But I like the phrase.  "IQ of a burned piece of mud" is pretty damning 😉

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I understand SAS is addressing this limitation - increase to 128 characters is planned - for all SAS and non-SAS tables and column names in SAS 9.5. However I'm guessing this release is still some way off as we are still in the 9.4 cycle.

Angel_Boy
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS community,

I am looking to see if there has been any update to making SAS work with greater than 32 characters.

This seems to have been an issue for several years now and it doesn't seem like SAS is doing anything in regards to this issue.

When/how soon can we expect SAS to make this a reality? It would be nice to hear back from any of the SAS reps on this.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Angel_Boy  - I haven't heard anything further. The last significant SAS update was last November for SAS 9.4M6.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 7 in conversation