BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
munkii
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to sas and endeavored to convert sas to sql. It was to be dmf wrapped but since it was decided that would be time consuming, it will now be converted into sql before dmf to smoothen the process in the long run. I’m not to familiar with how I would go about converting it, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙂 

My Best, 

Amira 

3 REPLIES 3
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

What are you trying to convert to SQL?  SAS and SQL are different things and do different things....

ballardw
Super User

If the SAS you have is predominately PROC SQL code that should go moderately easily as Proc SQL is mostly ANSI with a few additional functions.

Data step code, since it processes data in sequence will be another matter entirely and has a number of functions that look to previous records or carry values from record to record.

And I am not even going to contemplate turning any of the statistical procedures into SQL.

Examples might help.

And which flavor of sql you are going to could make a difference.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Converting program "line by line" is seldom a good idea.

It's better to find out the major business rules, and try to reproduce the output building from scratch.

If you intend to phase out a SAS solution to SQL Server, I don't think you will get much detail support here, since most people here are SAS supporters...;-)

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation