BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RamKumar
Fluorite | Level 6

I've SAS profile for production server which was set-up earlier (before I came to the project) in SAS EG 5.1. Now we've a requirement to work on SAS management console with the same production server account where i connect EG. When i produced the server details and it's relevant stuff to connect the server, I could not connect. Error message i got is 'username or password is invalid'. Can someone suggest me to succeed in this step?

Because I could connect EG with the same credentials. On a related point, I see most of my production server operates with the port 8561, test server with 8562 and development server with 8563. Just I would like to know the process to set-up the port number for specific servers. Also i could see that some SAS accounts (mostly pre-prod) are ending with @saspw (eg. sasvt3@saspw). What does it mean? Can we have (set-up) the similar SAS account for production server?

5 REPLIES 5
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Eguide (.Net) and SMC (Java) do not share profiles.
You can set up as many connections as you like but they are only saved (windows profile) when the connection configuration has been ended successfully.

You must have some errors in name/port user/pswd or been locked out from a firewall.

The @saspw accounts are internal SAS accounts not being present on AD LDAP or OS level. When access and configuration is under highly regulated auditing controls you will have an issue with that.

A correct usage of internal accounts is the dual account for administrator activity. The security admin guide is the place where this has been documented. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
RamKumar
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your response.

Do you meant to say that SMC profile never be shared with SAS EG? Also may I ask you the steps  to setup a internal SAS account? Please let me know how does it differs from general account.

We don't have a SAS admin and hence i'm posting in this forum to understand more.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

SMC and DI Studio shares profile (java clients).

EG and other .net clients (such as Add in for SM Office) share profile.

An internal account exists only in SAS metadata. Usually for meta data acces only.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Ah, a shame that implementation of that role is missing. Understand the why of your question better.

The SMC is a interface to update metadata. You could build other ones. All , the most (some exceptions), is stored in the SAS metdatabase consisting a lot of tables.

Adding users: SAS(R) 9.3 Management Console: Guide to Users and Permissions  (other actions see contents)

and the chapter in the bisecag SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide (a lot more to find there)

The way of supporting connection profiles are documented at:SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Desktop Application Administration Guide 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation