BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pmksasbi
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

i want to create a data lineage for a specific job from Source to target by making use of  SAS DI Studio job mappings.

Say for order table to be created at DDS. it has to go through several layers like staging , DIL & DDS. i want to document the mapping from source to target making use of the .spk file ,when a job is exported or make use of metadata server to find mapping information of a job . can you please help me understand how to achieve this. 

I know i can do impact analysis to find the tables that is used in all the jobs.but i have to open every job and manually check the mapping and document it. but this is a tedious job. is there an automated way to get this done. 

Thanks,

Mahesh 

2 REPLIES 2
AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

Hi Mahesh - you don't need to open the SPK file, the mappings are there in metadata. We built this functionality into Data Controller - it works at two levels:

1) Table level. This is a proc metadata call that extracts all the job mappings into a table.

2) Column level.  This is a bit more involved, with recursive queries.  For efficiency, in Data Controller, we cache the results in a table for a faster response the next time around.

If you'd like to build something similar, we made some process notes here:  https://docs.datacontroller.io/dcu-lineage/

And you can view the generated diagrams here:  https://docs.datacontroller.io/videos/#data-lineage

Data Controller is free for 5 users.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation