BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fwashburn
Fluorite | Level 6

Howdy folks! Long time lurker; first time poster - let me know if I gave you enough info below on this issue.

I've read 41 Excel files into SAS (some xls, some xlsx), reformatted them, concatenated them into one SAS datafile, and am now trying to recode some of the variables. Alas, it seems that some variables were read in as multi-line data (that is, someone used Alt+Enter in Excel when entering data). So, "YES (RECEIPT)" and "YES (RECEIPT)" look exactly the same, but when I run this code:

DATA MERGED.MERGETEST;
SET MERGED.MERGECLN;
 IF Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = 'YES (RECEIPT)' THEN RE_Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = 'YES';
RUN;

It only reformats some of the "YES (RECEIPT)" values, and leaves two of them untouched. I went back to the original Excel files and confirmed that these 2 leftover values were in fact "YES (ALT+ENTER) (RECEIPT)" values.

I've tried:

STRIPping the variable

DATA MERGED.MERGECLN;
SET MERGED.MERGECLN;
Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = STRIP(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH);
RUN;

and

COMPRESSing the variable

DATA MERGED.MERGECLN;
SET MERGED.MERGECLN;
Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = COMPRESS(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH);
RUN;

...to no avail. I still have those leftover "YES (RECEIPT)" variable values. What am I missing here?

Thank you so much for taking a look.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Try this, note the extra comma since we're not using the second parameter for the COMPRESS function, but we do need to space it so SAS knows which options we are using. 

Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = COMPRESS(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH, , 's');

Example 3 in the docs 😉

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lefunctionsref/69762/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0fcshr0ir3...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Look at the COMPRESS function again, but with the modifer to remove all blank character types. I think it's either i or s, but check the documentation.

fwashburn
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Reeza, thanks so much for your input! Here's what I see in the COMPRESS documentation:

a or A

adds alphabetic characters to the list of characters.

c or C

adds control characters to the list of characters.

d or D

adds digits to the list of characters.

f or F

adds the underscore character and English letters to the list of characters.

g or G

adds graphic characters to the list of characters.

h or H

adds a horizontal tab to the list of characters.

i or I

ignores the case of the characters to be kept or removed.

k or K

keeps the characters in the list instead of removing them.

l or L

adds lowercase letters to the list of characters.

n or N

adds digits, the underscore character, and English letters to the list of characters.

o or O

processes the second and third arguments once rather than every time the COMPRESS function is called. Using the O modifier in the DATA step (excluding WHERE clauses), or in the SQL procedure, can make COMPRESS run much faster when you call it in a loop where the second and third arguments do not change.

p or P

adds punctuation marks to the list of characters.

s or S

adds space characters (blank, horizontal tab, vertical tab, carriage return, line feed, and form feed) to the list of characters.

t or T

trims trailing blanks from the first and second arguments.

u or U

adds uppercase letters to the list of characters.

w or W

adds printable characters to the list of characters.

x or X

adds hexadecimal characters to the list of characters.

So would I do something like this?

DATA MERGED.MERGECLN;
SET MERGED.MERGECLN;
Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = COMPRESS(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH,H);
RUN;

Or is there more to it? I'm a total newbie to the COMPRESS function.

Reeza
Super User

Try this, note the extra comma since we're not using the second parameter for the COMPRESS function, but we do need to space it so SAS knows which options we are using. 

Q_HASSSACARD_HFH = COMPRESS(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH, , 's');

Example 3 in the docs 😉

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lefunctionsref/69762/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0fcshr0ir3...

fwashburn
Fluorite | Level 6

You're wonderful! Thank you! I'll slow down and read more carefully next time.

ASHISH2525
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

it removed spaces of other values of that column as well. how to prevent that ?

Regards,

Ashish

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you just want to remove the CR and/or LF then tell it that is what you want.

x=compress(x,'0D0A'x);
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Unless your dataset already had a variable named H that call should have generated these notes in the SAS log.

NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by:
NOTE: Variable H is uninitialized.

Because you told COMPRESS() to use the value of H as the list of characters to remove.

The modifiers are the third parameter and if you want to use a constant value then you need to use a string literal and not a variable name.

COMPRESS(Q_HASSSACARD_HFH,,'S');

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation