BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
forumsguy
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to import many files with File Reader... ??? We have several CSV files which we want to club together and then use File Reader .... Has anyone done something like this ???  Any ideas would be really helpful....

7 REPLIES 7
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I have tried using the following code to input multiple files:

data all;

infile csv1 end=end1;

do until (end1);

input id $ score;

output;

end;

infile csv2 end=end;

do until (end2);

input id $ score;

output;

end;

infile csv3 end=end3;

do until (end3);

input id $ score;

output;

end;

run;

or you can input them seperately , then 'union, set or append' them together.

I have seen a Macro that does scan your folder first, then feed one file at one time until it is all done.

HTH,

Haikuo

art297
Opal | Level 21

While I haven't used the DI studio, I know that you can substitute user written code when using File Reader.  Take a look, e.g., at http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etlug/62233/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1h7xnr4n6dmown11cey...

That part of the documentation talks about doing just such a thing using the infile statement.  And, since the infile statement can contain wild cards, if all of your files are in the same directory, you should be able to read them all in one run.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is this helpful?

filename qtr1 (’c:\sasuser\month1.dat’’c:\sasuser\month2.dat’

’c:\sasuser\month3.dat’);

data work.firstqtr;

infile qtr1;

input Flight $ Origin $ Dest $

Date : date9. RevCargo : comma15.2;

run;

Linlin

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Wouldn't have thought about using a wildcard in the infile statement (thanks Art) - but if your external files follow a naming pattern where this can be done then there is an easy solution:

Create 1 external file metadata and in tab "File location" give it a name with a wildcard.

Eg: if all your files are in folder /myfiles with names like test1.csv, test2.csv.... then give it in the external file object under "File location" the name /myfiles/test*.csv

After that just register this one external file metadata against a file reader (tried it and it works).

forumsguy
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Patrick for the reply.. I made a little variation and was able to produce output

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Other solutions is to specify an aggregate file location, similar to Linlins suggestion. Thios will lead to reading all files in the the specified directory.

Another way is to use the loop transform and input the desired file names to a File Reader job that appends data into a target table.

/Linus

Data never sleeps
RMP
SAS Employee RMP
SAS Employee

advice from @LinusH would be the preferred method in DI Studio. Loop Transform.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation