BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could someone of you guide me to understand the Parameterized and Iterative Job with some real time example? I've trouble understanding this concept after reading the documentaion. May be some simple example would help me.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

A simple example is to import a bunch of files wit the same file structure.

The parameter could be mapped from a list of file names.

The inner job will do the actual importing of files, and insert/append to a permanent data set/table.

If you search support.sas.com there are a few papers with examples. The best way to learn is trying to reproduce them in your environment, using your/sample data.

Do you have any current requirement that maybe can be solved by using this technique?

Data never sleeps
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't have any requirement at the moment. However, I would like to know how these jobs will work in real life.

I don't understand the following lines from your comment. Could you please tell me how to pass the parameters to the inner with real example?

The parameter could be mapped from a list of file names.

The inner job will do the actual importing of files, and insert/append to a permanent data set/table

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Have a table (registered or a work-table), which for a variable holds name (and potentially the path) to files that you would like to import.

Link that table to the Loop transform. Then add the job that holds the actual ETL logic. Now in the Loop transform you can map the input variables from the parameter table, to the parameter(s) defined for the inner job (Parameter Mapping tab).

There are examples of this in the documentation. Again, try yourself and it will be clearer.

Data never sleeps
UCFAngel
Obsidian | Level 7

I presented a paper at SAS Global Forum in 2011 on Parameterized and Iterative jobs that may provide an example. The conference proceedings can be found at http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/144-2011.pdf. This paper details an iterative process I developed to create a data table of graduate students for multiple terms.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation