BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

Hy Team,

I am using SAS Data Management studio env newly, and I am getting  datatype error. we are using Oracle database.

I have attached screenshot, Please find it and kindly suggest me how to resolve it ?

Shakti_Sourav_0-1646214829824.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
audrey
SAS Employee

Hi,

The error message "Unsupported data type" is coming from the node called "Data Source 1" in your job, so this seems to be while reading data coming from Oracle.

Can you check the said node to see what table it is reading, and what data types the fields have?

Also, from the screenshot, I see you're running this job from Data Management Server. Can you confirm if the same job worked fine when running from Data Management Studio?

Thanks,

Audrey

www.sas.comsupport.sas.com
SAS®... THE POWER TO KNOW®

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
audrey
SAS Employee

Hi,

The error message "Unsupported data type" is coming from the node called "Data Source 1" in your job, so this seems to be while reading data coming from Oracle.

Can you check the said node to see what table it is reading, and what data types the fields have?

Also, from the screenshot, I see you're running this job from Data Management Server. Can you confirm if the same job worked fine when running from Data Management Studio?

Thanks,

Audrey

Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Audrey,

Good Morning

I have attached  Screenshot, please find it

Shakti_Sourav_0-1646282538605.png

Shakti_Sourav_1-1646282706585.png

Yes, It's running fine in Data Management Studio, I have attached Screenshot below

Shakti_Sourav_2-1646283190537.png

Thanks 

Shakti

audrey
SAS Employee

Hello,

I see you have maked my previous message as a solution. Does this mean your problem is fixed? How?

If not, can you send a DESC from Oracle of the input table?

Does the Data Management Server run on Unix? If so, can you look at the odbc.ini file and make sure you have

EnableNcharSupport=1? If it's set to 0, change it, save the file, restart Data Management Server and try again please.

Thanks,
Audrey

Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

Good Morning

Clicked by mistake as solution. 

I have attached Screenshot from Oracle of the input table, Please find it

Shakti_Sourav_0-1646373532557.png

Yes, data Management server run in UNIX

Let me check the odbc.ini file.

Thank You 

Shakti

audrey
SAS Employee

In your screenshot, I don't see nchar or nvarchar fields, so this might not be the problem.

You can still try to put EnableNCharSupport=1 and restart Data Management Server, but not sure it'll fix it.

If not, can you send the odbc.ini?

Thanks,

Audrey

Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Audrey,

I have attached odbc.ini screenshot. Please find it and let me know if any required further details.

Shakti_Sourav_1-1646633543634.png

Thank You

Shakti

audrey
SAS Employee

There should be an odbc.ini file in the bin or etc folder of your Data Management Server.

This is the one I would like to see.

Thanks,

Audrey

Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

HI,

The Screen which is shared with you that is from DMS Server under /etc/ directory as you can see in screen shoot.

if any please suggest the path which file you need to review.

audrey
SAS Employee

Hello,

This is odbc.ini from /etc/
I would like to see odbc.ini from the Data Management Server. This should be under something like opt/SASHome/DataFluxDataManagementServer/<version>/bin/

Thanks,
Audrey

Shakti_Sourav
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Audrey,

I have attached one screenshot of bin directory and also attached

bin_directory.png

one text file, which is out put of odbc.ini file which is under /etc/ directory Please find it path mentioned in txt file.

RacheLGomez123
Fluorite | Level 6

ataFlux software and SAS data sets support different data types. Accordingly, automatic data-type conversions will take place when Data Management Studio software reads or writes SAS data sets. Also, nulls and missing values will be converted to other values. These changes can impact features that depend on particular data types. For example, when a profile reads a SAS data set, SAS fields with a format that applies to datetime values will be reported as datetime. SAS fields with a format that applies to time values will be reported as a time and SAS fields with a format that applies to date values will be reported as a date. As a result, the profile will not calculate some metrics such as Blank Count or Maximum Length for those fields.

The following data-type conversions are made automatically when DataFlux software, such as a data job or a profile, reads SAS data.

For jobs: SAS numeric columns with a format that applies to date, time or datetime values will be converted to a DataFlux field of type date.
For profiles: SAS fields with a format that applies to datetime values will be reported as datetime. SAS fields with a format that applies to time values will be reported as a time and SAS fields with a format that applies to date values will be reported as a date. Other SAS numeric columns will be converted to a DataFlux field of type real.
SAS character columns will be converted to a DataFlux field of type string with the same length as the SAS character column.
Nulls and missing values will be converted to other values, as follows.

SAS missing values will be converted to DataFlux null values. SAS special numeric missing values, whether they are specified with the MISSING statement in a SAS DATA step or with a dot followed by a letter or underscore, are also converted to null values.
DataFlux null values will be converted to SAS missing values.
A DataFlux field of type string that contains a blank will be converted to a SAS character field containing a blank. This blank will be interpreted by SAS as a missing value.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation