BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NikP
Calcite | Level 5

I used to have SAS Viewer. It wasn't fancy, but it did what I needed and I could easily and quickly look through my clinical data. When SAS viewer did not give me the functionailty I needed, I even had the option to select all records and cut and paste them into an Excel file....but then SAS Universal Viewer came along and words can not explain how bad I find it.....it is slow, lacks functionality and I cannot cut and paste data to Excel anymore. Am I the only person lamenting the loss of SAS Viewer or are there others out there like me.

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Agreed about the Universal Viewer, it really...

I'm lucky to usually have Enterprise Guide available, and that typically does everything you want dealing with data maintenance.

If you don't have EG, what about Viewtable in DMS SAS?

If you have a EBIS at you site you could use Add-in 4 MS Office to directly open SAS data in Excel.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I checked the latest version 1.4 to see what is does. It is long time ago I looked at this.  When you have SAS Eguide Amo or whatever there is no need for the viewer.
When you do not have sas the viewer can be very helpful to read (sas libraries) SAS(R) Universal Viewer 1.3: User's Guide

The copy paste to excel works not having big data it behaves well  (W7, I7 machine)

With the UE edition there is an other way processing SAS data and convert them. Remind the limitations for its usage not for commercial usage.   

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jdmarino
Fluorite | Level 6

I miss it, too.  I just assumed it never got installed, but I guess it's gone as a product.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It was and It think is (probably wrong) included on the installation CD's now the software depot.

It is a free download SAS Support Downloads Browse but requiring some updates in windows (runtime components) it is building the installation like all others.
A softwaredepot deployment directory etc.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
MikeFrost
SAS Employee

Hi NikP,

As noted by above, the SAS Universal Viewer is available from the download page, so it's not gone. If you are having trouble accessing it or have specific questions about its capability, please post them.

Regards,

Mike F.

NikP
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the responses. I miss SAS system viewer 8.2.

It does not work allegedly with PC SAS 9.2.

I have to use SAS Universal viewer (less functionality and no cut paste functionality of the entire table from SAS Universal to Excel). I read the manual for SAS Universal Viewer and I can read Excel into SAS viewer, but that is not what I want. I know I can write a program to extract a dataset to Excel.....but essentially I prefer to do this on the fly on when needed...and I liked the functionality and speed of SAS System Viewer 8.2 (100 time more) than SAS Universal veiwer. Essentially I am having a gripe and want SAS Sytem Viewer back for PC SAS 9.2

rickpaulos
Obsidian | Level 7

How can I configure my computer to open base SAS and show a sas7bdat file in the ViewTable window when I click on that file name in "computer" (formerly My Computer)?

Win 7 / SAS 9.3

If I open SAS, turn on the SAS explorer, navigate to the drive and folders where my table is, widen the columns so I can actually read the file names, click. Viola I see the data in the ViewTable window.  and it only took 27 clicks to get there.  Versus 2 clicks in Windows which I had in an earlier version of SAS in XP.

Is there a complete list of SAS command line options anywhere?  I can't find one.

I set up a new desktop icon with a -ViewTable or -VT added to the target but that didn't work.  "Unrecognized SAS option name".  It could work well if I could click and drag a .sas7bdat file to that shortcut.....

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you tried the Manage SAS File Types utility?

http://support.sas.com/kb/45/779.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation