BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Thasleem
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

We need to migrate our SAS Flows from Development to System Testing environment and right now all our SAS Flows are created under SAS Management Console, please help us to migrate these flows to different environment.

We are using SAS Batch Server and log path for SAS flow is defined by its own and it can be change using Advanced options, is there any options to parameterize those log path?

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

OS? SAS version, SMC version?

Thasleem
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Patrick

SAS Server Version 9.2 (TS2M3)

OS Version : Linux 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 (LIN X64) platform

SMC 9.2

SAS DI 4.2

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I'm not that happy how the term "scheduling" is used within SAS DIS/SMC.

If I understand this right then you're simply talking about creating .sas files out of SAS metadata. This is unfortunately called "scheduling". You need a SAS server (the SAS Batch Server) to create these .sas files.

When moving to another environement (code migration) then what you normally do is to export your metadata from the source environment (creating .spk files), moving these files to your target environment, import the .spk files into the target environment (I'm using DIS for this) and then re-deploy your jobs (=scheduling in the target environment creating new .sas file in the target environment).

What "scheduling" also does is creating these additional scheduling objects. If you're using LSF for scheduling (and here comes the terminology mess) then you use these objects to build your scheduling flows in SMC (not job flows now but scheduling flows where you define how the jobs are executed). So that's where the question comes: What scheduler are you using.

I don't see a reason to change the default path for the batch server logs. That's only the logs about "scheduling" your jobs. I can see a lot of reasons why you might want to define the log location for the jobs which get regularly executed. Whatever scheduler (LSF or something else) you're using, you will batch submit the .sas files with a command line like: sas.sh -prog <program name> ....

There are a lot of additional parameters possible. sas.sh sets a lot of the values if not passed explicitly. I believe the location for logs is one of it. So if you want to define the location of the log then you do something like sas.sh -prog <path/program name> -log <path/logname> ....

You could use a UNIX environment variable as part of the pathname for the log. If you want to do this then I would set this environment variable in the .profile of the user under which the process runs.

The one thing I've done already more than once is to define a UNIX environment variable $LEV as this is normally the only changing part between environments. And then I use this environment variable both for batch submitting and also within SAS code using SYMGET()

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If it's "normal" promotion, use the export/import wizards for both jobs and flows.

In the target environment you should redeploy the moved jobs.

Why do you need to parameterize the log path?

What scheduler do you use? In 9.3 you can set environment variables on the flow, but i believe that doens't work for operating system services (cron, Windows Task Scheduler).

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation