BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi guys!

Today I was playing with some data and found out a problem. I have 5 data sets in txt format named roh_1.txt, roh_2.txt, roh_4.txt, roh_8.txt and roh_16.txt. It could also be any other number like _1, _3, _10, _11...
I would like to make macro which will allow me to import those into SAS. I am familiar with infile option so no need for this part. I am posting code for import but this is not an issue. Of course I could rename files to be 1 to 5 but... Well I don't want to. Can you please give some hints.
Thanks

data file1 (drop = snp1 snp2 bp_position1 bp_position2 fid pheno nsnp gustp phom phet) ;
length bull_id $15. snp1 $50. snp2 $50. bp_position1 $12. bp_position2 $12.;
infile "C:\Users\MajaZmaja\Desktop\roh_4.txt" delimiter=" " firstobs=2;
input fid bull_id pheno $ chr snp1  snp2  bp_position1  bp_position2  kilobaza nsnp gustp phom phet @@;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The basic idea of how to loop over an arbitrary list of values in macro code is store the list of values as a delimited list in a macro variable and then iterate from 1 to the number of items in the list using the %SCAN() function to pick out the next item.

%macro do_over(list);
%local i item ;
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&list));
   %let item=%scan(&list,&i);
... put the code to replicated here ...
%end;
%mend do_over;

%do_over(a1 a3 a457);

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If the text files are all in one folder, you can try something like this:

infile "C:\Users\MajaZmaja\Desktop\*.txt" delimiter=" " firstobs=2;

--
Paige Miller
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

Will this approach produce 5 differently named sas data sets? 

Ok I will write like this knowing this is not correct

data file_&i (drop = snp1 snp2 bp_position1 bp_position2 fid pheno nsnp gustp phom phet) ;
infile "C:\Users\MajaZmaja\Desktop\roh_&i.txt" delimiter=" " firstobs=2;
input fid bull_id $ pheno $ chr snp1 $ snp2 $ bp_position1 $ bp_position2 $ kilobaza nsnp gustp phom phet @@;
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@MajaFerencakovic wrote:

Will this approach produce 5 differently named sas data sets? 

No, it does not, it produces one large data set that contains the contents of all 5 input files.

However, you can add the FILENAME= option to the INFILE statement, and then the name of the file that you read from is now a variable that you can choose to include in the output data set, and if needed, segregate the 5 input files that way.

Example:

infile "C:\Users\MajaZmaja\Desktop\*.txt" delimiter=" " firstobs=2 filename=whichfile;

file_used=whichfile;

--
Paige Miller
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

well, it looks like I am not fit for this chalenge. Ok so in file1 i will get variable with path of the file... Then I should again manually extract files out. 

This is not what would be useful here.

Thank you for your effort

Reeza
Super User

The wild card (*) tells SAS to read all files that fit the condition. 

You'll get all files input into a single SAS data set with a new variable, file_used, which indicates which file the observation came from. If you need to split it out further there are many ways, but are you sure you need to, if they all have the same structure?

PS. Please embed your code using the little running man icon at the top of the editor, which will format the code as SAS code. It makes it more readable. 

MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

I am sure I have to split it for further analysis and merging with other files 🙂

Regarding this new variable I only got "C:\Users" under variable  file_used

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You probably need a statement like this before FILE_USED is defined.

LENGTH FILE_USED $ 256;

--
Paige Miller
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

Guys, please, is there a way to do this trough do loop? 

The way you are proposing is fine for putting everything together. 

Somethimes I will need to enter my "resultfile" and I would need files _3, _6, _1002, _34568. Or some other combination from some 40000 result files.  So I would like to write code that will allow me to specify which ones I need and will import them and save them as separate sas data files

Reeza
Super User
There are many macro's on here that do that.
If you wanted to limit your analysis in the future you could simply apply a WHERE clause in your analysis, otherwise you're going to be combining data sets. It's an inefficient way to work.
where file_used in (3, 6, 1002, 34568);

That being said, yes, you obviously can write a macro, and that solution is on here many times over, you need to search for it :).

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/convert-large-number-of-text-files-into-SAS-all-...

You can also search lexjansen.com for many papers written on the topic.
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

Sorry, I am usually finding advises here and they were always helpful, however, I dont get this one at all. Must be that my knowledge (lack of it) is a problem

If I use command like you guys suggested I don't get variable like you said I will, no mather what lenght of variable I define. I don't get the whole path so I guess I can't use WHERE.

I was more thinking on defining numbers I need in

%let something = 1 2 5 10;

%macro somethingelse;

like here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11289027/do-loop-with-unequal-increment

However I did not managed this one to work because this count is producing problems.

Ideas?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The basic idea of how to loop over an arbitrary list of values in macro code is store the list of values as a delimited list in a macro variable and then iterate from 1 to the number of items in the list using the %SCAN() function to pick out the next item.

%macro do_over(list);
%local i item ;
... put the code to replicated here ...
%end;
%mend do_over;

%do_over(a1 a3 a457);
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok, this works partly. For example I did this and for first two was ok 

%macro do_over(list);
%local i item ;
data file_&i (drop = snp1 snp2 bp_position1 bp_position2 fid pheno nsnp gustp phom phet) ;
infile "C:\Users\Maja Zmaja\Desktop\ASD2015\Btauroh_&i" delimiter=" " firstobs=2;
input fid $ bull_id $ pheno $ chr  snp1 $ snp2 $ bp_position1 $ bp_position2 $ kilobaza nsnp gustp phom phet @@;
run;
%end;
%mend do_over;

%do_over(1 2 8);

But then I got this  

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, C:\Users\Maja Zmaja\Desktop\ASD2015\Btauroh_3.

And what ever combination I put in list I get the same result. I tried 

%do_over(4 8);

and still obtained data from Btauroh_1 and Btauroh_2 and that was it

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
That's easy. You are referencing the index number instead of the value. In your code use &ITEM to get the value of the current item, not &I which will the order of the item in the list.
MajaFerencakovic
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes! Thank you!

I was not aware that I did not change the &i to &item.

This works great

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation