BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

I am trying to load a SAS table with 50 columns and over 34 million rows into netezza.

Here is my code:

LIBNAME ECLIB000 "\\path\to\SASTables";
libname sdf odbc noprompt="server=xxxx; DRIVER={NetezzaSQL}; port=xxxx; database=xxxxx; username=xxx; password=xxxx;";
proc sql;
create table sdf.myNewTable
(bulkload = YES)
AS SELECT * FROM ECLIB000.MySASTable;
quit;

When doing this, I get the error: Error terminating Netezza load: Communication link failure.

In this post: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Management/Communication-link-failure-when-upload-table-to-N... I saw that someone else had the same issue, but I don't quite understand the answer or where to place the FORMAT statement in my code.

Can anyone help?

Thanks1

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try one last thing. distrubute_on =random.

if does not work out this is not a preferable way.

check the total number of records in your SAS table. Say you have 1000 records in SAS records create several SAS views using data step

first view--if  _n_ ge 1 and le 250;

second view if _n_ ge 251 and le 500;

and so on and load one by 1 by 1 into your netezza table by using insert statement.

please contact your Netezza team admins, looks like you may time limit for your connectivity and discuss your problem. I have seen this happening when we used  load into oracle tables  from SAS. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

I am trying to load a SAS table with 50 columns and over 34 million rows into netezza.

Here is my code:

libname sdf odbc noprompt="server=xxxx; DRIVER={NetezzaSQL}; port=xxxx; database=xxxxx; username=xxx; password=xxxx;";
proc sql;
(bulkload = YES)
quit;

When doing this, I get the error: Error terminating Netezza load: Communication link failure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Can you try distribute_on dataset option. Please pick a unique column for distribute_on. An example picked from sas communities is shown below. or use atleast distrubute_on = random. if you do not specify any column  for distrubute_on then datanase will pick a column and can lead to data skewing and probably making everything inefficient and leading to disconnect

proc sql;
create table netlib.customtab(DISTRIBUTE_ON='partno') 
   as select partno, customer, orderdat from saslib.orders;
quit;

/* for multiple columns*/

data netlib.mytab(DISTRIBUTE_ON='col1,col2');
col1=1;col2=12345;col4='mytest';col5=98.45;
run;

data netlib.foo(distribute_on=random);
mycol1=1;mycol2='test';
run;

jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

@kiranv_ When I use distribute_on I get the error: Invalid option name DISTRIBUTE_ON

This is my new code:

proc sql;
(bulkload = YES distribute_on= 'firstColumn')
quit;

I even tried it without the bulkload and I get the same error. 

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

please remove quotes and then try

distribute_on= firstColumn

Please check this link it has various varitions  and above does not work please try the below. I work mostly with teradata that is why I am not well versed with netezza options but one of them should work

https://www.sas.com/partners/directory/ibm/NetezzaDWAppliances-withSAS.pdf

proc sql;
create table nzData.test (DBCREATE_TABLE_OPTS='DISTRIBUTE on (ID)'
BULKLOAD=YES)
 as (select * from SASDATA.SASFoo);
quit;
jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

@kiranv_ I add the distribution and now I'm back to the original error: Error terminating Netezza load: Communication link failure

This is my code:

LIBNAME ECLIB000 "\\path\to\SasTable";
libname sdf odbc noprompt="xxx; DRIVER={NetezzaSQL}; port=xxx; database=xxx; username=xxx; password=xxxx;";
proc sql;
create table sdf.NewTable
(DBCREATE_TABLE_OPTS= 'distribute on (col1)' bulkload = YES)
AS SELECT * FROM ECLIB000.SASTable;
quit;

When I try to load a smaller table, it works fine. Is there something else I can do to help solve this issue?

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try one last thing. distrubute_on =random.

if does not work out this is not a preferable way.

check the total number of records in your SAS table. Say you have 1000 records in SAS records create several SAS views using data step

first view--if  _n_ ge 1 and le 250;

second view if _n_ ge 251 and le 500;

and so on and load one by 1 by 1 into your netezza table by using insert statement.

please contact your Netezza team admins, looks like you may time limit for your connectivity and discuss your problem. I have seen this happening when we used  load into oracle tables  from SAS. 

jim_toby
Quartz | Level 8

@kiranv_ so just to clarify, instead of splitting my current table into multiple tables and than loading these tables into  Netezza, it would be better to create multiple SAS views to load to Netezza? I'm asking because it seems like SAS Views has a slower processing time and I'm wondering if it will be much slower to load data from SAS views into netezza rather than form an actual data file.

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

it should not differ much. the reason I told to make views is that you may need more space in SAS with table. you have lot of space you can very well make tables and then drop them.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation