BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
chirumalla
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

My SAS scripts generating some warning messages. when I run this scripts in LSF warnings consider as a errors and jobs become red and exit the flow. is any option or method to suppress/ignore warnings in LSF scheduler.

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I STRONGLY advise to make any SAS batch program completely free of warnings before running it with a scheduler. That way, when an exit code <> 0 is encountered, you can be sure that something unexpected happened. Ignoring WARNINGs will lead to undetected errors, sooner or later, and is BAD practice.

chirumalla
Calcite | Level 5

Yes I agree, but am automating client existing scripts I don't have authorization to modify/edit. pls advise me if any way to overcome this issue.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sounds like you have a system maintenance process issue, rather than a technical one.

Just contact the responsible for the SAS jobs and have them correct the warnings.

I shouldn't say this, but SAS configuration is prepared for this, check out the comment in ..\BatchServer\sasbatch.bat/sh.

Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use a LART on the "clients".

(LART = Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool, in the US aka baseball bat)

Simply reject any SAS program that does not terminate with exit code 0 at successful execution. Or obtain the authorization to modify the codes and do the work yourself. (That is what I do when being handed user's SAS codes to run in batch. I optimize/correct the code until it exits with 0, and run a proc compare on the results of the altered and original code before handing the job off to the datacenter people).

BTW, not only do we flag an exit code <> 0 as error, I have actually an expanded version of error checking in our sasbatch (that predates the sasbatch in SAS' own Batchserver by about 10 years) where I artificially generate non-zero exit codes if I encounter certain phrases/words in the log file.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You cannot overcome this without a good description coming in from your client how to handle all conditions. When there is something getting into contradictions with some code that must also get decided&described. 

A pitty as you cannot answer always "yes" to them on forehand.

Some info:

SAS(R) 9.4 Language Reference: Concepts, Fourth Edition  Handling error codes. 

SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for UNIX Environments, Fourth Edition  syscc see notes on recognizing errors they can be changed (not stable).

SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for Windows, Third Edition syscc has no documented vaules  SAS(R) 9.3 Macro Language: Reference And at this one the value of 4 (normal to mainframe) is mentioned.

Batch processing (like LSF) was common to mainframes having a well defined CC. At Windows it got the focus on pc-desktop usage not batch.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation