BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Djones4822
Obsidian | Level 7

We have an Oracle OLAP database that contains all historical data garthered through our daily transactional processings and is updated every morning. We've also built a suite of reports that use the oracle tables as source tables. 

What we're noticing is that the LASR tables do not update automatically each morning, we've found that we need to manually open up the administration view and unload/reload each table.

Is there a process or a system of processes we can use that will keep the LASR tables up to date with the Oracle tables? 

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You should be able to script this by using PROC IMSTAT, which could schedule.
Data never sleeps
Djones4822
Obsidian | Level 7

I've come across that procedure, but I wasn't sure where to place that. Do I schedule that in the Enterprise Guide? 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You can also use other usual processes to update LASR tables like PROC DATASETS and DATA steps. The trick here is to make sure that the table metadata also remains in synch for which I use PROC METALIB.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Perhaps you could, but that is far from optimal, since that is on a client.
It's bettervti do it from the Management Console's Scheduling Manager (requires that you have stored the program as a .sas file first).
But given that you probably want to execute it right after the Oracle update you should consider how to build that dependency. Perhaps you could use an external scheduler that you organisation uses?
Data never sleeps
Djones4822
Obsidian | Level 7

This seems to be it. 

We're using Python to do control the ETL - is it possible for me to call SAS script from the command prompt? I know that I could do that typically with SAS installed locally on my machine, but with SAS VA I'm unsure. 

I don't suppose you or anyone has any insight into that?

Thanks so much for your replies!

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Djones4822

Yes, you can call SAS in batch mode. That's what every single scheduler does so it's BAU. 

To call SAS from a command prompt: You need the prompt on the machine where the SAS server sits (i.e. via Putty for a Unix/Linux distribution).

If I'm not mistaken then a VA instance also comes with the related SAS Compute modules licensed and installed and I believe PROC IMSTAT should be available.

Capture.JPG

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/7.3/en/vaicg.pdf 

Djones4822
Obsidian | Level 7

@Patrick that's great info, thanks so much - but it looks like that link is broken? 

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Try this link, Djones4822 (without the http://).

support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/7.3/en/vaicg.pdf

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation