BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
batulelec
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I need some help with identifying if a patient has a prescription for a drug 6 months before the first fill date for the same drug. What is challenging here is that each patient will have a different first fill date and hence, the 6 month look back period will be different for each patient.

For example, for the year 2015 - one patient 1 has their first fill on January 5th while patient 2 has their first fill on March 30. For patient1 I will have to look back to July 5th while for patient 2 I will have to look back upto September 30. 

Currently my data is in this format - 

Patient ID                Medication               Fill date                

1                                  Med1                     01/23

1                                  Med2                     5/22

1                                  Med3                       ..

1                                  Med4                       ..

2                                  Med1                       ..

2                                  Med2                       ..

3                                  Med1                       ..

4                                  Med1                       ..                  

4                                  Med2                       ..

I can transpose the data and make it wide, but what I am struggling most with is identifying the different 6 month look back period for each patient from the fill date

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

This is probably a job for INTNX to find the start date of fill-6months.  If you post representative data and desired output you will get better help.

batulelec
Calcite | Level 5

I already have the start date (Fill date) - I am not sure how to code so that the 6 month look back period is different for each patient. 

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Look at the documentation for INTNX you will find how to find a date 6 months in the past.

If you post some representative data we can show example.

Reeza
Super User

You don't need to change your data structure. 

You use what's called a self join. Join table to itself with the join condition being that the dates are within 6 months given ID and drug match. As mentioned INTNX will calculate the interval, but note that 6 months is not the same duration so you may want to define a fixed number of days rather than 6 months, ie 180 day? 

If you post sample input/output data for a code sample make sure to include the case where you have multiple dates for the same med, within the specified duration , ie patient 1 has med1 6 times in 6 months - monthly prescription. 

Ksharp
Super User
Show your sample data and output you want. It looks like SQL , Hash Table both can do that .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation