BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tmd1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

We are looking to expose the lineage of all of our SAS tables for viewing in the SAS Lineage Viewer web application.

We believe that the BI Lineage Scan on the DM Server only works over:

1. Reports

2. Information Maps

We have manually added a couple of tables to an Information Map and run a test BI Scan over it for export to the Web Infrastructure Platform.

I have found an excellent post in this community by Paul Homes of Metacoda with a tip to run BI Scans nightly at a high level in the Metadata tree.

This is exactly what we are looking for. We would then want the output from that nightly scan across all SAS tables to be automatically available in the web apps without manual operations.

We have no previous DataFlux experience in our team and seek expert guidance as to what might work best to achieve this.

Our initial thoughts are that it might be possible to:

1. automatically schedule a nightly report of a type that references all SAS tables that the BI Lineage scan could be scheduled to run over and exported to the Web Infrastructure Platform.

2. automatically schedule a nightly process to populate a complete Information Map of all SAS tables that the BI Lineage scan could be scheduled to run over and exported to the Web Infrastructure Platform.

Any tips and ideas from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Trevor

2 REPLIES 2
ccaulkins91
Obsidian | Level 7
Did you try the SAS administration community at large? Was there any response? I was told that these jobs are highly interactive therefore involves a large SAS admin effort.
Data Dugger
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The questions you have sound a bit "bigger" than what can be coverered in a Forum like the one here.

If you found already a paper from the expert you're really happy with, then consider to engage with @PaulHomes on a commercial level to get all the expert advice you seek.

It's in my experience really worth to get the design approach right from start as this will save a lot of headache and effort.

N.B:

I've made this proposition for a commercial engagement without any personal agenda and I won't have any personal gains out of it whatsoever.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation