BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I am using PC server to export excel file from server to PC( or import excel file from PC to Server), it's really slow when dealing with the big excel file. My question is whether this is an efficient way to quickly output excel file from SAS Server to PC? Thank you!

I am using SAS Server on Linux.

Another question is whether there is a way to export the SAS dataset to CSV file from SAS Server to PC? Thank you!

Jade

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

How big is 'big', number of variables and records.

And if the Excel is truly large, why send it to Excel in the first place?

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you. If not excel, usually how do you provide the data to your client?

Thanks,

Jade

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Jade_SAS wrote:

Thank you. If not excel, usually how do you provide the data to your client?

Thanks,

Jade

Certainly not as Excel if not "forced" by the client. I strongly prefer textual files for data exchange (delimited files, XML, Json)

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Could you please share the syntax of how to output these textual files (delimited files, XML, Json) in SAS? Thank you!

Jade

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Jade_SAS wrote:

Could you please share the syntax of how to output these textual files (delimited files, XML, Json) in SAS? Thank you!

Jade

That's all fully documented. Please RTM.

Possible keywords: data step PUT statement, libname XML engine, Proc Export, Proc JSON

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
One must ask why you are distributing somewhat large file to client Pc's in the first place. Especially with upcoming regulation about data security and privacy (GDPR...)
It would be better if they could get interface to work directly with data on the server instead. If Excel is preferred Add in to MS Office/Office Analytics could be something to try.
Data never sleeps
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you both for your suggestions and feedback!

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi @Jade_SAS,

I'm glad you found some useful suggestions If one of the replies was the exact solution to your problem, can you "Accept it as a solution"? Or if one was particularly helpful, feel free to "Like" it. This will help other community members who may run into the same issue know what worked.

Thanks!
Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation